When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What to do when buying a new watch

sirdiesel

Hi everyone, i was wondering if there was a list of things to do when buying a new replica..

Now i thought i knew a lot about buying replicas from reading the forums, but unfortunately i had never read posts about people selling their replicas before.. and this is where i got confused

Most people are saying the following which is making me doubt if i should buy from a dealer.. or mildley used from a member

1- most member post with *serviced watch* (do watches u buy from TD need to be serviced before using?)

2- Reset of chrono is mint (sometimes the reset is off correct? what can be done so this doesn'T happen)

3- Crown has tube and screws in perfectly (what do i do if mine doesn't and what does a tube mean?)

4- Straps tube (tubes again? im confused)

5- Relumed (are most lumes bad? i know most of my watches need direct light focused on them to have a good glow for a couple hours.. do most of them act like this? and are there better lumes? i used to have an army compas with INSANE lume.. without putting a light focus on it but i think it was bio hazard i dont know the chemical used

So yeah.. these points are making me wonder if i should be better buying from someone who has already put the effort into doing this (and i have no horlogery area in my place)

or Is a TD watch enough to please my needs?

Thanks for helping out with these noob questions.

Iyan

The French Canadien

1) Generally no..but it is recommended but not always needed on arrival though transit etc can effect the watches running etc

2) It can do that..only a service will resolve

3) Live with it or get it modded/repaired (A tube is the housing that holds the crown stem as it enters the case)

4) These are tubes of metal mainly in PAM straps that sit in the holes of the strap ends and into that gose the lug bars

5) Lumes vary ..generally the better lume is genuine Superluminova..(Military lume can be this or can vary with Tritium ) Reluming is common and is done by modders...but gen lume varies too and so you need to know how a gen looks under charge etc compared to the rep and then decide if you wnat to mod it or even buy the rep because of that)

Whether you buy in M2M a modded version or a new one from the dealer depends on the quality and accuracy of the rep you want..some need modding especilly older reps some dont some come good enough OTB (out the box) from the dealer

But in all honesty mate this info is available here in all sorts of ways and in all sorts of sections...

And to answer your questions yourself you need to either research the basics of a watch and its movement.... and research the specifics of the rep you are after... what the gen is like, how many versions, reviews, etc etc..

It really is all here for you to see and at the least there is enough here to show you what you need to know and then go researching on the web generally..

:)

1st, read the 'Hey Noob' thread pinned atop the Introduction forum. While you are there, read the Forum Rules.

1. Most reps come with used &/or unserviced movements. Should they be serviced? You do the math.
  2. There are many threads detailing how to repair loose chrono hands with epoxy that you can search out.
  3. See Edge's guides pinned atop the Watch Repair & Upgrade forum.
  4. No idea what you are talking about?
  5. There are varying qualities of lume & the best lume is more expensive than the poorest lume. 1 of the things that contribute to the cost of a $10,000 watch is the cost of the lume. How good is the lume on that $200-$300 rep you bought?

Answers to most of these types of questions can be found in the pinned articles in the Intro or Watch Repair forums. Most others can be found via the Search.

interesting. thx for the answers i didnt think lume could be one of the major price points of a gen. i realllllly enjoy a high lume. im gonna research and see what exists :)

ill be buying a ap v3.5 or titanium version as well as hublot diver 4000m in the near couple of weeks.

ill finally create a photo album

talk to you soon

Iyan