When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tried on a Gen 45mm PO Ceramic today

fraggle42

Before today I thought that the reps of the ceramic POs just didn't do it for me, thinking that the gens would, as usual, ooze quality and luxury and feel gorgeous.

So whilst doing some xmas shopping I went into one of the jewellers in our town centre and tried on a pumpkin and black bezel ceramic POs.

There's only minor changes between the last version and these versions, I know that, nothing big enough to change the whole feel of a watch, but it just has somehow.

Hands just a bit too chubby and fat, the gaps surrounding the top triangle in the ceramic bezel a tiny bit bigger and the silver coloured inner ring on the pumpkin insert a tiny bit wider, the square 3/6/9 markers, the clasp isn't inscribed with the model and hasn't got those tiny overhangs either end that cover up the gap nicely.

Lots of tiny little things.

I feel as if they updated the old POs design in good ways, but just kinda forgot to put it through the final "make the tiny tweaks that make it perfect" phase. Or as if they've pandered to the stylistic buyers and are trying a bit too hard.

I'm frankening a 42 and a 45mm old version POs, and I wanted a gen at some point and thought I was just imagining all these little things, and when I tried a gen on I'd love it, as I did with the last version.

But the weddings off! The new floozy has too much make up on for my liking!

Time to go grovelling back to the old version and hope she'll still love me :D

P.S. I know I've knocked the ceramic verson a lot, another reason I wanted to try a gen on, to either prove me wrong, or make me promise I'll never mention them again :)

I don't have a problem with the ceramic other than what I read on this board is that people are having issues with the bezel not actually being ceramic and numbers smudging off (plus due to this, that means the fact is that it is not really a liquid metal watch).  That is an issue to me.  But I read the problem possibly doesn't exist in the blue version or maybe it was the 42.5mm blue I forgot which.  But I know where you are coming from.  I followed the orange 42.5mm through version1 thru version 4 and then there was a long gap and version 5 came out.  Very, very very beautiful watch. I own a version 4 and a version 5 (these are non ceramic in case you wonder if I veered off topic which I suppose I did).

I do like the titanium watches and I like the black dial watch with white numbers.  So the decision on which one to get next is difficult since I was thinking about getting another SS with black/white/non ceramic initially and now there are all these other options, sans a black titanium.. all the titanium watches are blue which could be fine but I never have seen one in person.  I read on here once you get it, you are pretty much taken by the watch.

But yeah when the ceramic came out, I actually didn't like it.  And I would get it if it is the only option available on the watch I am buying which it is, in the case of the titanium.  And on the other hand, rolex has ceramics as well.  Some I like, some I don't.  For example, the TT sub with ceramic looks gaudy to me and I wouldn't spend a dime on one.  But the blue ceramic looks really beautiful and I own it.

Edited by amptor