When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Daytona! Enlighten me please :)

edgematic1

Guys,

I'm starting to get more appreciation for Rolex. After ordering a TC V6 I went to the AD in town (@ honeybear, the one you know too ;) ) and tried the Daytona. To be honest, I like it quite a lot. It's small but I feel it's a great piece for me.

I have absolutely 0 knowledge about Rolex. I might be knowledgable about AP, when speaking of Rolex it's the opposite since they never caught my attention, and if they did it was in a wrong way.

Why I started this thread is because I'd like to know more about the Daytona and the history, mainly about the 116520.

What is a good series to buy (as gen) and why? Are there any good reps out there? I know there are issues with the movement but is the dial lay-out wrong too? I absolutely have no idea. I'm a true rolex noob.

What gen series would you advise and why?

What rep would you advise and why?

Thanks! :)

16520b_116520w_1280.jpg

Hi, 
There is 2 kind of rep:
Daytona powered by a cheap 21j. 
Daytona powered by an A7750.
There's two A7750 for Daytona, sec@9 reliable (wrong dial with sub dial too spaces between each other)
And sec@6 modified woth correct dial but the movement reliably is quiet random. 

The good thing about the 21j is first the correct case thickness, but generally those reps have too many flaws, glass instead sapphire crystal no rehaut engraved, sub dials too spaced, no LEC, cheap bracelet and buckle etc..

The A7750 is pretty well made and close to gen, but the watch will be more thick than the gen. 

Here are my two Daytona, A7750 on the left and 21j on the right:

9arypaby.jpg

Here is a picture of the gen :

Rolex+Daytona+116509.jpg

I forgot to say that the 21j gives you normally the date and the day f the week and the A7750 version has working chronograph ! Of course ! 

PS: There's two different Daytona's in the picture that you have posted ! The one in the left with black dial is a 16520 with zenith el primero modified movement with the sec@9 and the other one on the right with the white dial is a 116520 with the rolex calibre 3135 sec@6. Notice that the 16520 does not exist in rep !!!

Here is a thread that can give you more info about Dayto : http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/165843-rolex-daytona-116509-silver-dial-a7750-valjoux/ and http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/165850-rolex-daytona-116515ln-chocolate-dial/

Edited by Ingelero

Thanks for the quick reply! How about gen series? Ryan did not encourage me to buy the 21j.
Now for the gen, I will advice to buy a 116520, first because of the price around 10k€ and I like better the home made Calibre 4130 than the Calibre 4030 from the 16520. The case has been updated since this version and I like it in that way. For the dial color, black or white, I will go for the black. Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

Personally, while I appreciate the 116xxx series of Daytona (& have no plans to sell mine, so do not ask), I have come to find them too large & blingy for daily wear. That said, if they are your cup of tea, I would opt for an early 116520 because they were produced without the ROLEXROLEXROLEX engraving on the flange on the case that runs perpendicular to the dial.Alternatively, for a bit less bling (still essentially the same size), try the previous (modified) Zenith-powered 16520.

As for reps, search out By-Tor's brilliant review of the 116520 rep &/or my perfect Daytona thread, & be aware of the inherent mechanical issues of the secs @ 6 7750 that powers the best modern Daytona reps.

Personally, while I appreciate the 116xxx series of Daytona, I have come to find them too large & blingy for daily wear. That said, if they are your cup of tea, I would opt for an early 116520 because they were produced without the ROLEXROLEXROLEX engraving on the [censored] on the case that runs perpendicular to the dial.As for reps, search out By-Tor's brilliant review of the 116520 rep &/or my perfect Daytona thread, & be aware of the inherent mechanical issues of the secs @ 6 7750 that powers the best modern Daytona reps.
I think you mean 16620 ! Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk