When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam 177h

RobbieG

New from Josh. Off the rack with stock strap. Outstanding service with super fast delivery as always. He even included a couple special requests at no extra charge. The overall quality, fit, and finish of this piece is amazing. I will post more photos post mods after I install the pin fix, re-lume and the new straps come in. I highly recommend this watch as an alternative to the heavier steel 44MM watches. The light weight of the Ti makes for a very comfortable daily wear...

160800-12276.jpg

160800-12277.jpg

160800-12278.jpg

160800-12279.jpg

160800-12280.jpg

160800-12281.jpg

160800-12282.jpg

160800-12283.jpg

160800-12284.jpg

160800-12285.jpg

160800-12286.jpg

160800-12287.jpg

Edited by RobbieG

New from Josh. Off the rack with stock strap. Outstanding service with super fast delivery as always. He even included a couple special requests at no extra charge. The overall quality, fit, and finish of this piece is amazing. I will post more photos post mods after I install the pin fix, re-lume and the new straps come in. I highly recommend this watch as an alternative to the heavier steel 44MM watches. The light weight of the Ti makes for a very comfortable daily wear...

RobbieG,

I got my Pam 176 from Johsua last week. Do you re-lume it yourself or do you send it for re-luming? What is this pin fix?

Thanks!

replica7

To answer your pin question:

If you look at my photos you will notice that there looks as if there is a "hole" in the middle of the pin that holds the hands in the center of the watch. This is because there is a design flaw of the reps in how they accomodate the movements - for lack of a better way to explain it...The gen watch will not show that recessed "hole" in the hand pin - or cannon pin as it is called. The polished metal "center pin" should be flush or slightly higher than the top hand, not recessed as you see on my watch. All reps except those from Davidsen will come this way from the factory but all can be modified to fix with an aftermarket part...of course Davidsen sells the "fix" part as an aftermarket item as well...

Regarding the lume:

I have not had my 177h watch done yet, but The Zigmeister, Vacuum, and Finepics, and probably many others all do this sort of work (including the canon pin fix) for a reasonable fee. I hope this helps...

R

All reps except those from Davidsen will come this way ...

With respect, Sir, not all. Probably just the Swiss versions. Here is my Asian Unitas Radiomir "California" from Joshua. Note that there appears to be a big fat washer between the hands... looks like a short canon pin movement could have been used in this watch as there is no small seconds subdial to get in the way of the minute hand.

165047-11319.jpg

This particular ETA movement in the PAM handwinds typically comes with a stock sized cannon pinion (center pinion holding the hands) from the rep manufacturers. I always assumed this is the standard length that comes whne you buy ETA parts or movements in bulk. The fix is replacing it with either an elongated one or, depending on the dial and hand configuration, shaving down the thickness of the ring on the hand that holds it in place. Replacing the pinion is the preferred fix. And yes, the Chinese movements have an elongated pinion. :)

I have a question about the pin (pin fix). If I have understood it correctly it is that the pin a bit too short? Does that mean the arms can fall of? Why dont they fix it from the beginning? Is it correct that only Davidsens models are modified so they dont have this problem?

Thanka

Look here...a bit of info about the cannon pin on 6497 movements.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=17002&hl=

Cheers,

vaccum

Thanks Kruzer and Vacuum for your answers. So the problem with the pin being to short is that the arms can fall of I guess? Do you know if there are any other dealers apart from Davidsen who are taking care of this issue. The reason I am asking is that I am not very handy so I cannot fix this myself I dont know any watchmaker who can help me, so I would defenitely prefer to buy one that is ready to use from the beginning without modifications.

The one I am thinking about is either a 177H from Davidsen or one of his vintage models of Marina Militare with plastic crystal which looks like the old ones. A beautiful watch.

Wow, those are some Amazing pic's, the background is perfect!! An incredible attention to detail by placing the watch in every picture next to the word "wrist watch"... Beautiful! :1a: any of these could grace my desk top.. Enjoy the watch... You single handed have got me decideing between this 177h or the PVD195.. :g: I just love this sandwich dial! ^_^

To replace standard cannon pin on high canno pin, it is quite easy task. The Zigmeister used to post his instruction and I follow that and so far I have work on 7 watch on my own. Davidsen offer the high cannon pin at a very resaonable price. I got 8 from him so far.

In addition to make the minute hand flush with the pin, you can also do that without high cannon pin on those base 2 hand models like PAM 009, PAM 000. Doing this the hour hand will seat quite close to dial. But afte finish it does not look bad at all. You must come very close to the watch and sometimes even need the magnificant glass to see it. This will save some cost. With those 3 hands models, this will not work because the hour hand and second hand will interfere each other.

To gride of the minute hand is quite easy. You can start off from the rough filing and end with the #800 or #1200 sand paper. This will make it smooth. But if you cannot do this work or made mistake, Davidsen also offer the capped hand which is ready to use without grinding.

So look in The Zigmeister post to see if he still keep the instruction up there.

Good luck.