When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

what about the price of the audemars piquet reps?

whoever

Hello fellas.

I was wondering, how come the audemar reps are so crazy expensive? I mean, 500+ is quite high when you consider other very good reps and brands are around 300$ ....

Maybe thats a stupid question, but i don't get it. Is it the material? Or is it about the hype?

Thanks for your opinion!

Edited by whoever

I think it is a lot of hype.  Charging more implies that it's worth more, a higher-quality product.  Granted, I think more work and exotic materials goes into a ROO than a Sub, but it's not that much either.

Then the prices of the ROO Diver or the new RO Jumbo are, I believe, set according to the pricing standard set by other ROOs.

Pricewise they are in a territory where flaws (movement issues with seconds/scratching stem/misaligned dial/hands) are not allowed any more because buying a second one just because the first has "some" flaws is prohibitive. That´s why I don´t have one (yet?)

Have seen several perfect ones here but want to ask: Are all of them good or do we see only the best posted?

The AP Diver V5 (from Toro) is surely one of my best 3 reps qualitywise and worth every cent. Are the APRoos the same/better?

I would probably attribute the higher cost to the following:

1) Unconventional design and materials relative to other reps

The case, lugs, dial etc are quite different compared to subs and pams and all that. That added, AP reps are one of the few reps that incorporate things like rubber bezels, ceramics, DLC RG plating, hornback (albeit crappy) straps

However, some people may notice that there are other reps that share similar unconventional characteristics but are cheaper, eg. Hublot, Richard Millle. I guess that's because -

2) Sec@12 movement

While the cost of the modifications of the A7750 for sec@12 configuration may be negligible, it is worth noting that the movement is (was) only available to Noob factory. How common this movement was is anyones guess, but it wouldn't be surprising if the extra cost came from high demand vs low supply of the movement. This brings us to the 3rd reason

3) Noob monopoly on AP

Ever since the first decent AP ROO rep by Noob came out around 2008, there has been no other factories who has made or even tried to make anything close to the quality of the Noob ROO. Again, this was probably due to the movement being only available to them, with no other factories bothering to make a decent rep of the ROO without the proper sec@12 configuration. As such, Noob was probably able to dictate the prices of the ROOs however they wanted. This is hopefully going to end very soon with a new seemingly very accurate ROO being made by v3 maker along with the sec@12 movement.

My 2c

• Like 1

I would probably attribute the higher cost to the following:

1) Unconventional design and materials relative to other reps

The case, lugs, dial etc are quite different compared to subs and pams and all that. That added, AP reps are one of the few reps that incorporate things like rubber bezels, ceramics, DLC RG plating, hornback (albeit crappy) straps

However, some people may notice that there are other reps that share similar unconventional characteristics but are cheaper, eg. Hublot, Richard Millle. I guess that's because -

2) Sec@12 movement

While the cost of the modifications of the A7750 for sec@12 configuration may be negligible, it is worth noting that the movement is (was) only available to Noob factory. How common this movement was is anyones guess, but it wouldn't be surprising if the extra cost came from high demand vs low supply of the movement. This brings us to the 3rd reason

3) Noob monopoly on AP

Ever since the first decent AP ROO rep by Noob came out around 2008, there has been no other factories who has made or even tried to make anything close to the quality of the Noob ROO. Again, this was probably due to the movement being only available to them, with no other factories bothering to make a decent rep of the ROO without the proper sec@12 configuration. As such, Noob was probably able to dictate the prices of the ROOs however they wanted. This is hopefully going to end very soon with a new seemingly very accurate ROO being made by v3 maker along with the sec@12 movement.

My 2c

thanks for that, quite clear!