When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

regarding AR: Questions from a noob

Legend

Hello all,

I have noticed that on the watches (both gen and rep), most of them have some form of anti-reflective coating. Here are my questions:

1. How do you guys tell single AR from double AR  (or single AR from no AR) from pictures alone?

2. Are there different grades of double AR? For example, are there differences in the double AR from the rep factory vs aftermarket double ARs

3. If the genuine counterpart has a single AR coating, would anyone double AR it just to make the dial pop?

Thank you kindly for your responses and any related posts on the matter.

Humbly yours 

L

I think of it as single AR usually means one side is coated and double AR is both sides of the crystal are coated. Single AR is easy for me as it really doesn't look as there is any AR. My gen Oris Aquis Date is an example, single AR but there is still glare as the outside surface is not coated. Sure there are grades of AR, I only use AAA swiss grade! :-p But seriously there are different coatings and different coating processes so each lab get a different end result. Trick is finding a lab that will or has done watch crystals, try optic shops to see who they use. In truth it's your watch, do what you want to do to enjoy your watch. I've known guys to get AR on reps even if the gen doesn't have AR just because the dial is nice and they want to have it "pop". I am thinking of getting this done to my Tag 500m, gen has no AR but I've seen pics of JKay's and StGuk's 500m and I'm jealous!