When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ordered my first rep! and here's the rest on the list..

simstre

ordered my first rep, ceramic sub with Asian ETA from Andrew, and already formed a list of wanted which could change in the future.

From the list, is there any watch in particular that stands out as superior rep at the moment? I know some of the watches on the list only have poor reps available. and if there is, could you recommend a TD for that specific watch? I liked Andrew for my first transaction but found out that TC/BK subs are usually the best bet...AFTER I placed my order, these info are not easy to find....

Here's the list:

1. Breitling Chronomat Evo Black

2. IWC Portuguese Chrono

3. LV Tambour Chrono Brown

4. Pam 332L Regetta

5. Pam 318 Brooklyn Bridge

6. JLC Duometre

7. TAG Carrera chrono racing black

8. Cartier Santos 100

9. Breitling TransOcean Chrono white

10. Pro Hunter Sub

11. Breitling Navitimer black

Let me know what you think!

First off, welcome to the board, Simstre.    Secondly, you are correct in that TC and BK offer the closest to Gen subs, but they specialize in the older models (16610, etc) so going with a Ceramic from Trusty is a good start, if that is what you were looking for...

As far as what you have listed, the easiest one of these to make look closest to Gen would be the PAM 318, since the originals had base Swiss 6497's in them with no extra decorations, Incabloc, etc.   Although Panerai offered to replace this 'mistake' with the correct OP II movement for them for free, I know that a lot of owners decided to leave it the way that it was, for collector's value, assuming that there was going to be a race to find one of the original, unfettered 318s in the future that they could profit off of.  So, grab a plain unadulterated Swiss 6497, have a trusted rep friendly service expert transplant that into this rep, and you'll have a 99% legit to gen watch (assuming you go for the Noob version so that the inside CG edge doesn't have to be filed down and sharpened)...    Just my 2 cents.

What does anyone else think?

IWC portugese chrono on my list as well, but my investigations leave me to think the automatic versions is not too reliable. I'm not an expert though and happy to be corrected.

Welcome Simstre.  You can usually find a Pro Hunter sub on the M2M sales board every few weeks or so.  I think folks get a bit bored of the black color after a while.  You may want to some research on the board before pulling the trigger on the IWC Portuguese chrono -- there are reliability issues with some chronos.  The Cartier Santos is another you can often find for sale M2M, and is a terrific rep.  I kinda wish I hadn't traded mine away,

Amazing. Thanks for the inputs. Yeah i'm already aware of IWC portuguese problems and people joking about it blowing up a month after a purchase. But also have seen people having it fine, so not sure if it's hit and miss thing or version-specific problem, still gotta look into it more.

Definitely putting PAM 318 on top of the list though, read about the "mistake" before and gen pam forum was ranting about it, but tbh i don't care too much about that much detail, as long as it looks amazing, works well, and lasts long time.

Funny thing off topic though, is that a guy sitting in front of me on a train is wearing black sub as we speak, but don't have enough knowledge to identify whether it's gen or rep ;)

Hi and welcome to the forum. Quite some list You have there:) Good luck with Your choices. TC/BK have a consistently good build quality, the others may have different quality levels so You get better or worse ones (Your bet:) Actually Andrews ceramic sub is a good choice, superlumed in blue with a perfect (adjustable) rolesor bracelet, the turning of the 120-click bezel is smooth and functional, inner rehault Rolex engraving, laser-etched crown in the glass at 6, serial number on the caseset so You may wear it on a NATO, serial engraved in the rehault at 6 too, screw-down crown with rubber, a wrong pearl, a too thick caseset, maybe another datefont - but who knows or bothers? It´s a lot of value for the money, You will love it, next You might get a green-lumed 16600 Seadweller without Cyclops to match it. Than the shinier TC - or an Ap Diver or a Steelfish…..

Glossy picture of Andrews ceramic sub:

Sub-ChdrBigshotL1050531.jpg

IWC Portuguese Chrono: The main seconds hand does not move unless You use the Chrono. To avoid movement problems You might choose to get a reliable Quartz (Yes, I´m hearing everybody screaming:), there are several versions of it - like this, not gen-like but a beautiful watch with useful day-function and 24-hr dial (there are others, also from Andrew) - try to sit 1 meter back and tell me if the seconds at 6 sweep or tick......You simply can´t:)

IWCSeadweller_1404_zps2cb91752.jpg

more detail?

Here:

IWCSeadweller_1385_zpsf4193b81.jpg

6. Take a look at the JLC Master Geographic too, beautiful GMT watch

10. or the DSSD

It´s fun to be around - every watch a new discovery and adventure. Cheers

• Like 2

Really great info Nightwatch, I appreciate it.

That Portuguese is just amazingly beautiful, can't wait......

Is getting a quartz the only option to avoid movement problem? There's no version/TD that makes a reliable ones?

Just checked out JLC master geographic....it's fantastic as well, different look but same elegance as duometre.

DSSD is also crazy wanted, but not sure if I should get several watches of similar design....as sub.

I know the subtle difference makes each rolex unique and stunning, but I'm also afraid that I might not wear all of them just enough if I have too many watches.

Hi again, it´s more a question of prices, the quartz is cheaper about 128 usd - if You order it as 2nd watch in one shipment You save on shipping too. Than You can try out if You really like it. The auto is 300-400 plus a service for fixing the problem as soon as You get it or You can wait for a serviced sample on m2m sales, but that will take long. Just read about. Rolex has so many different with different functions: GMT/Explorer/Vintage/Datejust that the only problem I see is explaining to colleagues/neighbours how suddenly You have half a dozen:), depends how/when You wear them. 

Anyway get at least one green lumed one of older series with the smaller dots, in my opinion they look more elegant. The basic movement also runs fine btw. all a question of prices.

• Like 1

Hi,

I'm very new here so please forgive me if this is inproper etiquitte:  But would you please provide me the link for Andrew's Ceramic Submariner that you have pictured below?  I scanned through TrustyTime, but there are so many submariner options.... which one is yours?

Thanks very much,

Gwxhs

Hi and welcome to the forum. Quite some list You have there:) Good luck with Your choices. TC/BK have a consistently good build quality, the others may have different quality levels so You get better or worse ones (Your bet:) Actually Andrews ceramic sub is a good choice, superlumed in blue with a perfect (adjustable) rolesor bracelet, the turning of the 120-click bezel is smooth and functional, inner rehault Rolex engraving, laser-etched crown in the glass at 6, serial number on the caseset so You may wear it on a NATO, serial engraved in the rehault at 6 too, screw-down crown with rubber, a wrong pearl, a too thick caseset, maybe another datefont - but who knows or bothers? It´s a lot of value for the money, You will love it, next You might get a green-lumed 16600 Seadweller without Cyclops to match it. Than the shinier TC - or an Ap Diver or a Steelfish…..

Glossy picture of Andrews ceramic sub:

Sub-ChdrBigshotL1050531.jpg

IWC Portuguese Chrono: The main seconds hand does not move unless You use the Chrono. To avoid movement problems You might choose to get a reliable Quartz (Yes, I´m hearing everybody screaming:), there are several versions of it - like this, not gen-like but a beautiful watch with useful day-function and 24-hr dial (there are others, also from Andrew) - try to sit 1 meter back and tell me if the seconds at 6 sweep or tick......You simply can´t:)

IWCSeadweller_1404_zps2cb91752.jpg

more detail?

Here:

IWCSeadweller_1385_zpsf4193b81.jpg

6. Take a look at the JLC Master Geographic too, beautiful GMT watch

10. or the DSSD

It´s fun to be around - every watch a new discovery and adventure. Cheers

Hmm yeah i gotta hold off on portuguese, but definitely getting one.

When you say older series with green lume? Do you mean like TC sub v6? It seems to have smaller dots and green lumes. Or do you mean older versions?

Yes, I mean the 16600 series, Submariner or Seadweller, Cheers

• Like 1

Hi gwxsh- the one pictured is the rolsub090a with the very basic 2813 movement, its the 116600 ceramic sub. Quality may vary as written above. The same is available with Asian ETA also, I normally would get one of the ceramics and one of the 16600 series (Seadweller preferred or sub, gmt or Explorer2), one with the 2813 movement, the other with the Asian Eta 2836-2. Than You have tried out both standard movements and compared pricewise and know what is better for You with the next purchase. OK, there You go, pls click on the lower right side if You liked this, thanks.

• Like 2

Nightwatch,

Thank you very much for that.  I'm new to the replica watch world, and I always had a fascination with Breitling, Rolex, and Omega.  I just bought my first replica seen here:  http://www.ttw888.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7&products_id=10406

I'd be very interested to see what you think - I could not find a review anywhere.

I'm interested in getting a Seadweller or Submariner - I'm really interested in the pro-hunter.  Is there a "latest-and-greatest" model you know of?  I've got a massive wrist, and really want an all-black, somewhat tactical-looking watch that can be worn with jeans or a suit...

Thanks again for your input - it's very appreciated.

Gwxhs

Hi gwxsh- the one pictured is the rolsub090a with the very basic 2813 movement, its the 116600 ceramic sub. Quality may vary as written above. The same is available with Asian ETA also, I normally would get one of the ceramics and one of the 16600 series (Seadweller preferred or sub, gmt or Explorer2), one with the 2813 movement, the other with the Asian Eta 2836-2. Than You have tried out both standard movements and compared pricewise and know what is better for You with the next purchase. OK, there You go, pls click on the lower right side if You liked this, thanks.

Hi gwxhs, the link gets me to the ..90a ceramic sub (it´s the one pictured above) with plusses and minus detailed. As said I think it´s as much watch as You can get for that money, I like it, some purists will have another opinion, specially when looking with a 10x lupe at details on the dial. From above on the wrist it looks perfect, compared to the gen imho the main difference is that it´s about 2mm thicker than the gen which you see in the height difference/space between the case and the turning bezel when looked at in a perfect angle from the sides only (the Tc´s/Bks don´t have this, the bexel sits "flush" which is one of the things which make them so attractive for purists, the case is thinner).

But than I like the inner Rolex engraving of the ceramic one, the markings on the case if You take of the bracelet off and a lot of other details it has. Just don´t take it off the wrist as a gen-owner wouldn´t either with a 10´grand watch. Specially the Rolesor bracelet is very good because it´s micro-adjustable without any tools and You may put it larger at night and flusher in the morning etc.

For the black one I´m a fan of the single red Pro Hunter Deep Sea, Jacques Piccard edition, it´s a heavy, solid watch and my toughest rep which stands any beating but than I´m biased I´m also getting the 2008 edition IWC Cousteau Divers (blue and yellow) with the Calypso on the back.

If You look Andrew also has it for 168/178 or very expensive this one I would really like to have it with an Asian ETA but mine has the 2813 movement. Just make sure You get that special extendable bracelet with it because it´s fantastic and one of the best metal bracelets I know of. For fun it´s got an easy to use divers extension too, but mainly that double-opening clasp as pictured below to micro-adjust -  it is fantastic. Disregarding the model You take, just make sure it has this type of bracelet. Enjoy:)

dssdL1050776.jpgdssdbackL1050774.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Nightwatch:

First of all:  An apology - I meant to type the link http://www.ttw888.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16_137&products_id=10401 as my first watch ever bought from Andrew.  I ordered it yesterday and would be curious what you guys think.  I can't find any reviews for it - any key tells you spot?

Thanks very much for your reply - I'm going to keep the Pro Hunter Deep Sea, Jacques Piccard edition on the top of my list.  One other that has intrigued me is the Pro Hunter Stealth Explorer II, seen here:  http://www.ttw888.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=11701

It looks amazing - so I guess it's down to the two of them - the Jaques Piccard, or the McQueen pro hunter.... thoughts?

Thanks again!!

Gwxhs

Congrats on the Super-Avenger. Great lume. Love that one, will take it if You don´t want it:) This is on the next-to-get list (Breitling with numbers) and checked it out with an AD the other week. It´s a very thick watch and wears high, I already have some of those chunky ones and need something smaller so I will go for the thinner 44mm Avenger heritage after CNY. Meanwhile I think You really chose one of the best around, as said only reason for me not to get it now is the DSSD I have and the Panerai 193 submersible and alikes. The Breitlings are super-reps or near to and the quality is very high. As it´s a Chrono with the Asian 7750 don´t play around with the chrono function too much which should be easy because of the nice srew-in crowns and make ALWAYS sure only to stop it and reset it when the second hand is between 10 and 2, nowhere else. It´s worth to look for and to read about the Asian 7750 movement here on the forum before using it - so do it now:)

Didn´t re-check if its an older version but think You can read all about the S-Avenger here: http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/82645-super-avenger-the-bigger-bang/

• Like 1

Hi Nightwatch,

Thanks very much for the tips on my SA.  I'm really not sure if it's the older version or not - I hope it's the new one...One other that has intrigued me is the Pro Hunter Stealth Explorer II, seen here:  http://www.ttw888.co...oducts_id=11701

It looks amazing - so I guess it's down to the two of them - the Jaques Piccard, or the McQueen pro hunter.... thoughts?

Congrats on the Super-Avenger. Great lume. Love that one, will take it if You don´t want it:) This is on the next-to-get list (Breitling with numbers) and checked it out with an AD the other week. It´s a very thick watch and wears high, I already have some of those chunky ones and need something smaller so I will go for the thinner 44mm Avenger heritage after CNY. Meanwhile I think You really chose one of the best around, as said only reason for me not to get it now is the DSSD I have and the Panerai 193 submersible and alikes. The Breitlings are super-reps or near to and the quality is very high. As it´s a Chrono with the Asian 7750 don´t play around with the chrono function too much which should be easy because of the nice srew-in crowns and make ALWAYS sure only to stop it and reset it when the second hand is between 10 and 2, nowhere else. It´s worth to look for and to read about the Asian 7750 movement here on the forum before using it - so do it now:)

Didn´t re-check if its an older version but think You can read all about the S-Avenger here: http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/82645-super-avenger-the-bigger-bang/