When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Safari Mods, What to Do?

panerai153

I just picked up a almost new Safari "ultimate Version" from a member2member sale on another forum. the watch will need a service as there are a few issues with the sweep second chrono hand not starting properly/ Not a problem, as I  go a good deal that will cover part of the service. Since I'm not that familiar with the Safari models, what  else should be done while at the watchsmith? The Safari has no lume am I correct? so if no lume on gen, then that wouldn't be a factor, how is the AR on the crystal and Cyclops on the newer models of the Safari. That's the extent of my modding right now, no gen parts, case shaving, gen movement, etc. I'm not trying to build a Franken, just get this one a little more believable if necessary.

Here is a photo from the seller

post-327-0-06236900-1392985864_thumb.jpg

PAM153,

I can honestly say and i own a quite a few GEN AP's , that even with Gens the AR and Dial colors looks different , ive got a Gen Safari same year as my mates and my dial looks a tad darker than his , and his looks like his AR is crap, whilst i respect AP and am a massive Fan of theirs, i do see anomolys in Gen's it just not possible that any GEn factory can get a watch 100% identical.

Id just get it serviced and AR and leave it at that........

My .02

get it servide,ar on crystal and cyclop,nice aftermarked strap and your ready

black lume is deffently not word the money did it once but never again

You are right, I've seen "black lume" on other genuine watches, and I was never impressed with the quality of the lume. Some are better than others, but definitely not in the "glows like a torch" category!!

Thanks guys, it's supposed to be here on Tuesday, so I'll take  few photos and post them, sort of a before and after. I think I'll wear it for a few weeks at least until my other AP's get back home from being serviced. Then it's off to get a movement service and AR'ed crystal and Cyclops. 

Hey mate, firstly, very nice watch! To me, this is more accurate than the models like the black themes and others due to the dial layout..notice the date window position is not touching the tachy ring like some models. :thumbs:

I do own some gen ROOs too and yes I agree with jordanF1 above.There are variations within the same model (could be because of batch?) in the AR and slight variance in dial quality sometimes, and sometimes bezel screws!

Forget about the so called black lume.. its very poor in the gen and can be seen well only under UV light. So unless you are a regular disco goer, screw the lume in this one! Nobody will be calling you out on the lume on this model at night. ;)

One thing though, the rep strap (and almost all other rep straps on the ROO) is something I would not use as a burial collar on a pesty dead rat. It is a thing of abomination, and the least you should do is to get an aftermarket strap, if you have not already done so. 

AR mod is a personal preference, and service a recommendation. 

Once again, a very nice watch you have gotten yourself, congrats!

Thanks very much again guys, it's very refreshing and enlightening to get some good advice. The worst things that folks can do is not avail themselves of the immense knowledge base here on RWG. If you go off and spend a ton of money on unnecessary and useless mods , you only have yourself to blame, as their are lots of folks here who are more than willing to share their knowledge and keep you on the right track. As  I said to Legend in a PM, the big disadvantage to living in a small community is it's impossible to easily visit AD's to try on and look at genuine examples. Of course the upside is there isn't anyone around who is knowledgeable enough to call you out, so you could probably get away with some pretty awful reps here and no one would be the wiser, just remember to wear one of your good watches when you go to a bigger city!! 

• Like 1