When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How Often Do You Switch Watches?

fraggle42

I wear them cause i think they're beautiful and can't justify spending that much for a gen yet, not to impress anyone or show that i have an expensive watch. If someone recognize it is a watch worth $25k or something, then they would usually ask me about it anyway and i always tell them about my hobby. I don't make that much a year and i'm still young so it'd be absurd to act as if it were a gen.

• Like 1

I wear them cause i think they're beautiful and can't justify spending that much for a gen yet, not to impress anyone or show that i have an expensive watch. If someone recognize it is a watch worth $25k or something, then they would usually ask me about it anyway and i always tell them about my hobby. I don't make that much a year and i'm still young so it'd be absurd to act as if it were a gen.

Thats why I dont wear reps of gens with a price tag over 10k. In Euros that is.

But the AP 15400 Miyota is pulling hard!

Perhaps I will break my rule...

I wear a watch to work and then once I get here I usualy change it out for a beater (Invicta Pro Diver, Luminox). At lunch I shower and put the nicer watch back on, then back to the beater for the rest of the work day, one more change at the end of the shift. This is the minimum and happens every workday.

The rotation is just based on mood, whatever I feel like. A watch might be my go to for a week or two or it might last for 1day and then go right back to the sidelines.

The fact is, I am very aware that I have a large selection of watches and I try to make sure they all get a little wrist time and that leads to a lot of switching. On weekends I might wear 3 or 4 different watches in just one day.

I guess you have a long trip to work, or maybe use the tube or other public transport? And have nice business lunches out?

I've downsized my job so I only have a 10 minute drive to work, and my lunch is a drive to the local sandwich van and back and eat it in the canteen or my desk. I hear about people working from 7am to 7pm and wonder why? Even more so if they've got a family.

I guess it doesn't help me that I'm not good with dealing with the public so have to be hidden in the office somewhere :)

Plus the fact I love what I do (software engineer) and I'm happy with just enough money to keep me in gadgets and toys. Too old to have big career ambitions at my age and health!

I guess you have a long trip to work, or maybe use the tube or other public transport? And have nice business lunches out?

Actually, my work involves wearing coveralls in a nuclear plant. I always have a work watch, something rugged, a little on the cheap side, and not suitable for me to wear when not being a Control Technician.

For my "nice business lunches" shower and change out of the coveralls (optional) and enjoy home cooked meals as the food available in the cafeteria is unacceptable to my tastes. For this break in the day I like to be wearing a nice timepiece.

My job is by no means glamorous but boy does it pay well ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah, I understand :)

I used to have a job where I had to be suited and booted and was expected to climb into hot safes that were an inch deep in dust, just big enough to contain an ATM machine (that needed fixing).

I did get an allowance for having to wash the trousers and shirts, but not so I could buy them every time I ripped something.

Timex cheap watches was the daily beater then - I could give them a quick rinse over at the same time I had a wash or shower :)