When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Clasp has excessive ware - Repairable?

Keys

Hey guys.

Got a 'Rolex' as part-payment for a call I sold a few months ago (Had to admire the cheek of the buyer!)

Know its a replica, don't really mind, what does bother me is that the catch on the clasp appears to be worn to the point it doesn't catch the bar and shut.

The image attached shows the worn catch, I just don't see how it would be repaired. Could you add metal to it? I'm lost on all fronts, don't want to take it into a watch shop without knowing what I'm asking, even better if someone here could tell me how to do it myself!

Thanks in advance for any input.

Keys. 

Image didn't attach. Here it is. 

post-62549-0-73254800-1394912259_thumb.j

Edited by Keys

Keys,

I can’t tell for sure if there is enough hook or not in the picture you furnished. It doesn’t take much and a small jewelers file should do the trick. Also a dremel tool with a good bit assortment could work, I’ve used both methods, but read further before you attempt this.

I’ve had these that wouldn’t stay closed even with a decent overhang on the lower catch. The trick is this. You’ve got two arched pieces that hinge together and you’ve got to shorten the top one in relation to the bottom one.
This seems impossible until you realize that the more curved the arch of the top piece the shorter it becomes compared to the bottom piece where the hook is.

So, you need to bend the top piece (it’s thinner and easier than the bottom one) to a little more curve than the bottom piece.

One way is to do this is to use some thin pliers and pad the jaws with vinyl tape so it won’t scratch the surface, but if you have strong hands you may be able to do it without the pliers, I can.

It won’t take much so bend it in a tighter arch just a little at a time and keep trying it until it catches firmly. If you bend it too much then it will be hard to close and you’ll need to straighten it out a little.   Don't worry, it shouldn't break.  When you press the two pieces together you should feel a slight snap when it engages properly.

Try this before you file on the lower catch as it is not so much that it needs a hook, but more the angle that the top piece pulls at that keeps it closed. After you get it tight enough so that it closes firmly, if it still will not stay closed then a little filing on the lower catch is called for. Like I said it won’t take much.

I hope this works for you. It did for me.  It is the same procedure I use on any deployant clasp that is either too tight or too loose.

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

That worked perfectly! Can't believe how easy it was, didn't even need a single tool!

It is absurd how accurate the replica watches are, that even the straps have the same issues and solutions! I'm not personally a fan of counterfeit anything but I may keep my hands on this  :)

Thank you so much, hopefully this lasts!

Much appreciation.

Ciaran.