When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ist time replica experience (failure...)

eli

Hello folks, I took receipt of my first replica yesterday, a 45.5mm Seamaster Planet Ocean w/Swiss ETA 2824-2  from Trusty Time.   Quickly shipped, very securely wrapped, I must say the watch appears quite fetching!    Unfortunately, as I was setting the time initially, the hour hand ground (quite literally) to a halt while the minute hand continued rotating.  At this point the stem no longer properly engaged the date wheel mechanism either.   I removed the case back to find the movement stamped "2836-2" and quite obviously Chinese, not the Swiss ETA that I had paid for.   In any case, i removed the hands & dial to access the keyless works, which visually is not in proper order, although I suspect there may be something boogered up with the setting wheel or hour wheel as well.

My question is this:     I have a few watches I'd be willing to harvest the genuine 2824-2's or 2836-2 out of to put in this replica case.   Are the clone movements true clones in the sense of direct replacement, or are modifications necessary?   Have any of you ever done this yourself with good results?    Many thanks for your help & kindest regards,

Eli

• 2 weeks later...

Eli - the trusted dealers warranty their watches, somewhat. You were well within your rights to have it replaced. Now that you've taken if apart, your best bet is to have the closest trusted watch technician service it.

Also, Swiss vs Chinese is not always obvious. Can you supply a close up photo? If you received a clone and paid for Swiss you have a serious matter to complain about.