When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I need the opinion of you experts...

BadSamaritan

I just ordered my first rep...

11866-iwc0540c-iwc-schaffhausen-white-dial-rg-lt-asian-automatic   FROM   tswatchltd-dot-com <---- (Sorry, the forum wouldn't allow me to post a link before I have 5 posts)

The price is only $108 while many modern models are in the $300-400 range.  Sure it's relatively plain, but I think it looks good.  I've been really admiring IWC annd at $108, I felt it was appropriate for my introduction into rep watches.

What do you all think of the quality of this watch?

Thanks for your opinions!

Dave

Well, it depends on what you're looking for in a rep, maybe. No one is going to accuse this watch of being overly accurate, but I've had watches with Asian 21J movements run for a surprisingly long time. It's probably not one you're going to be wearing in ten years, but at least you didn't pay $1000 for a AAA super double deluxe rep. 

That movement looks more like a 2892 clone than a standard 21J you'd find in a $108 watch, so I'm kind of curious if it will actually look like that. That doesn't look much like an IWC movement so I wouldn't go out of your way to show your watch-savvy friends, but for a nice-looking dress watch you could do worse. 

I no longer buy the cheapie reps because I'd rather focus on watches that have a good chance of lasting for some years and warrant servicing, but it's not a bad way to start looking at reps. The only thing with many of them is that they're frequently not quite as accurate as some more expensive ones, often coming down to the date wheel on these less-expensive movements.

Hi and welcome to he forum. For making a first order and trying it out it´s a very sensible choice in my opinion. And the simpler the design the better it is replicated, same goes for the ultra-expensive ones. These hands on the IWC´s catch the light from so many angles it sure will be fun and well readable. Also a very good test if gold watches are for You generally because they sure look good. Something to consider is to get the cheap "watch repair tool kit" from Amazon (15 to 20 usd) and to get another strap for this one, maybe alligator grain  in black, it will make a big difference.

It´s fun to choose here: http://www.strappedfortime.com/shop/category.aspx/alligator-crocodile-grain-watch-bands/7/ or here http://www.watch-band-center.com/shop2/index.php?user=watchstrap&so=&offset=30&hkat=1011&skat=1014

Agreed however for $100 do not expect too much is my advice. The old adage in life is quite true, 'You get what you pay for' and in my experience the $300 watches tend to be great value (relative term) and well made. Research more and you will understand what are the great deals and what are not.

Best ergards

AJ

Wow, this really is a friendly forum! :)  Thank you all for the welcomes and the thoughtful feedback and advice.  Nightwatch, I will likely check out some better straps so thanks for those links.

Astonjenks, yes I agree that you usually do get what you pay for and, likewise, you don't get what you don't pay for, but this seemed like a decent entry-point for me into the rep watch world :)  I'm looking forward to participating on this forum and learning more as I go, so that my next buy can be a well-informed one.

After I get this watch, I'll post a follow-up in this thread.

Take care.

Hi

I'm new to this myself and I got a cheapie IWC coming from a M2M deal on another forum so I'm intrigued myself how it's going to be once it land ;)

I was thinking its a plan watch with small seconds sub dial not a lot is going on should help hopefully but saying that I recently got a "noob CRPO omega rep" and it's absolutely stunning in real life that's $360+ so like you if these cheapies don't quite cut the mustard then I will stick to the upper range, as they say it's all trial and error :) Enjoy your journey hopefully I enjoy mine too ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I mean in terms of its resemblance to the genuine article. For as long as it lasts, I bet the 21J will keep reasonably accurate time.

Ok, thanks. Actually, I was informed this watch was out of stock, so I had to make an alternate choice. It's a Patek, and I'll post info about it in a separate post so I can get up to 5 posts and be allowed to post links.

Ok, thanks. Actually, I was informed this watch was out of stock, so I had to make an alternate choice. It's a Patek, and I'll post info about it in a separate post so I can get up to 5 posts and be allowed to post links.

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/169151-patek-is-there-actually-a-gen-version-of-this/

Edited by BadSamaritan