When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is going on?

docdoowop

I am somewhat puzzled so hence my question.

I have this Batman Rolex GMT that runs great and has good power reserve.

But here is the mystery:

If I wear the watch steadily, I mean 24 hours a day, everyday (at work, to bed, so all day), the watch keeps good time and will gains seconds and maybe up to a minute after almost 5 or 6 days...(this is not scientifically measured).

But if I dare to take it off and place it on a table, contrary to the "tricks of easy regulation". The asthma will gain time faster, like a minute or more over night!

The "tricks" I mention are:

1-crown position down: slows down the watch

2-crown position up: slows the watch down even more

3-watch flat on the table, dial up: speeds the watch

Well, here is the twist: if I place my watch in any of the position, it only does one thing: gains time fast and overnight can gain up to a minute or a little over a minute.

Me, I don't know how can that be?

What is going on?

What springs to my mind is the oil in the jewels is starting to thicken.

When you are wearing it, two things are happening (one definitely is, the other may be), one is it is moving around constantly and so the balance wheel staff and other gear bearings are moving sideways (by a fractional amount) and breaking the oil surface tension on one side as they move across, reducing the drag of the oil, and secondly the temperature of the whole watch will be higher due to body heat.

Try putting it on something that's approximately body temperature for a couple of days and nights and seeing what happens. In my house I would use the airing cupboard, but I don't know if you have something similar?