When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crown Guard screws

vaccum

In a similar thread somewhere else (all these boards are getting confusing) Joe recommended getting one of those eyeglass repair kits. I grabbed one from the drug store for a couple bucks. It came with 3 or 4 different sized small screws. I fit one where I lost my crown guard screw and it worked. Granted, it doesn't look exactly like the original screw (if someone's anal enough to want to examine it with a loupe) but it worked and i applied locktite. Nice easy solution. Thanks Joe!

Dave

The dealer will send me some screws when he has some available.

Is it a good idea to apply loctite to these screws on the outside? as in on the screw head after it has been screwed in, or on the actual screw-in surface, before screwing it in?

Should the same be done on the screws that hold the strap to the lugs?

and finally, how about on the push-pins/screws in the bracelet, and on other brands' bracelets such as Omega, Breitling, R*l*x etc?

:unsure:

Apply a tiny bit the Loctite to the actual screw threads. Once it sets, you're good to go.

Ditto for those tiny bracelet screws.

On my Pams, I don't use anything on the strap screws. I do use quality after market screws which seem to stay tight but do check them every couple of weeks or so.

According to the Officine Panerai First Aid Kit (very expensive so don't ask where to get it) there are 2 Loctite products used on Panerai watches. The Kit advises as follows:

Loctite 243 - For the 2 crown screws - one drop on an oil pike in each hole on the threads.

Loctite 222 - For the Panerai Deploy screw and for the screws that attached the strap to the case (CAUTION: I would not suggest using Loctite 222 for these items unless you are darn sure you will not be taking them out, for changing straps. To me 222 for these functions is overkill as they are hard to remove).

I would, however, strongly recommend using the Loctite 243 on the crown screws as you will rarely have to remove the screws and they are hard to locate.

The first thing I do with any Panerai watch (real or replica) is remove the crown screws and do the Loctite 243 for peace of mind.

AS with any Loctite product please remember.................a little goes a long way don't go overboard with the amounts used.

If you send your Panerai for service remember to advise the repair person that you have used Loctite as many use low heat to loosen the loctite screws.

TimeShare

Edited by TmeShare

• 2 weeks later...