When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

16750 Build Suggestions

droptopman

Good afternoon, 

I have read much on GMT builds since joining the forum.  While I do not understand all the terminology yet, I have learned some things since joining, like developing a solid plan at the beginning so I am seeking help from the forum on my first build.  I am not lazy and have done a lot of reading but with my knowledge set some of the information seems conflicting.    

A very experienced watch smith and forum member is going to help me (actually he is building) a GMT Pepsi and this is the gen dial that is the start for the project.  It is from around 1988.  To go with the gen dial, I have a source for OEM gen insert, crown and crystal so those are parts I hope to use.  Looking for suggestions on case set that will accept the gen parts.  Suggestions for aftermarket Oyster bracelet.  Not sure about gen bracelet yet due to cost.  Plan to use a Swiss ETA movement so suggestions on hands as well.         

post-60288-0-83680900-1398814820_thumb.j

Update: this will be more of a 1675.5 with the gen 16750 dial (I prefer the white gold indices) acquired new gen insert, crystal and crown and possibly gen bezel and hands. Thinking of just forking out the dough for the Phong case. Couple questions. Thoughts on using phong case in general and with with an eta movement? How hard is it to modify gen hands for eta or other non gen movement? Other potential movements that would not need dial feet cut other than a gen? Or are there better options for the hands for eta? Lastly best aftermarket Oyster bracelet for this set up? Any help much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If u go the way of an expensive phong case etc, you'll be going very nearly into the territory of gen 1675 prices.

Why not use a cartel 1655 case

Thanks ghost. Yes I will be $2500 into it with phong case. About half of a gen in good shape. I read threads on how to do that with the 1655 but beyond my modding skills at this point. Will that case accept the gen parts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not much sense forking out $2.5K on a fake case.

I said this before and i'll say it again, we all need to stay back and think about the cost element behind this hobby - spending +$3K on a rep when you can get the gen for around $5K just doesn't add up.

To put things into perspective, I bought a genuine 16750 for $3.2K last week - that should you make abandon this project right about....NOW :)

Not much sense forking out $2.5K on a fake case.

I said this before and i'll say it again, we all need to stay back and think about the cost element behind this hobby - spending +$3K on a rep when you can get the gen for around $5K just doesn't add up.

To put things into perspective, I bought a genuine 16750 for $3.2K last week - that should you make abandon this project right about....NOW :)

Yes I saw the thread on your GMT.  GLWS and super good deal, especially for a matte dial.  I did see a decent one for 4K in Seattle the other day.  Thanks for the response.  I tend to be a little OCD and grind on projects.  Appreciate the feedback and will slow down a bit.  Going to post WTB on all forums and keep searching for a reasonable $ case.  Got the gen parts for good prices so nothing lost there.  I got to thinking if I am going to spend that much on a rep GMT it will be a 6542 as I cannot get a gen of that.  

Anyone has a 1675/16750 case that will take gen parts let me know.

• 1 month later...