When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 063 help Please

panerai153

I was into Panerai's pretty big a few years ago, had a couple of really nice ones that had some good mods. like most everyone here that are "serial flippers" , other things struck my fancy, needed funds for other projects and long story short, they were all gradually sold off. Two that I miss the most were  Eddie Lee watches, an 029 and a 063. both of these were from that short run with Swiss ETA 2893-2 movements. Great watches, but sadly gone, and when one of those come on the market today, folks are asking a fortune for them.

So, a few months ago, the PAM  itch started again. Before you know it, I had another 029 and then a 063. Allegedly both of these have ETA 2836 movements, but I haven't taken the case backs off to check. Both are running great and are keeping very accurate time. Now here is the dilemma. When I bought the 063, I knew the GMT hand wasn't correct, as it was painted Red. I had never seen one with a red GMT hand and my research bore out the fact that none were produced. Today,  I was looking through a few files of different PAMs and found a bunch of photos of the second 063 I owned (also came with a 2893-2 movement.) I believe that it was and Eddie Lee, but I'm not certain. Well, comparing the watches, it looks like not just the GMT hand on my present watch is wrong, it looks like all of them are. Then when I looked at the caseback photo of the old 063, it looks like the caseback on the new one is all wrong as well. So my question is, first off is this new 063 worth the time and effort to send it off and have the hands replaced, or is it so wrong that it would be a waste of time, and better to just sell it on and try to find a better version of the 063? I have a hand set from Davidsen, so that part is good. Please give me your honest opinion about the newer 063, is it worth the trouble, or is it a really low grade watch that it wouldn't be worth it as it has too many things wrong.

Here are a front and back photo of each watch. Obviously the new one is the one with the red GMT hand.

Thanks in advance.

post-327-0-72935100-1400438847_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-32612800-1400438919_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-20845200-1400438874_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-94992000-1400438901_thumb.jpg

Interesting dilemma that you've got yourself there.

To be honest I don't know what the answer is , it's your choice. Many members love the chase for parts and the project nature of a build . It's hard to do a cost benefit analysis of buying something new or going on the modification journey.

To get anywhere near to where your old EL might of been you'll be needing hands a decent Crown guard. Possibly a crown and maybe a better date wheel and crystal as well the case back . Then put it together. So a quick guess would be 200$ on parts and the $200 to put it together. I don't know what DSN charges for a new version but you might want to consider that as an option thought the Analisti on here would dismiss that and tell you to get. Hopno for $2000

I'm not the best member to ask. I have always had good experiences with DSN. I would expect it to be a significant improvement on your current version. Drop him an email first to see if he still has them. Unfortunately it's the only option for now.

Thanks very much ST4. I wrote to DSN several weeks ago to order a set of hands for this watch. At the time, he said that he had 063's available. I just wrote him an email tonight, asking him for more specifics and possibly some photos. I would love to get my hands on one of the old Eddie lee versions like I had before, but they seem to be selling at a big premium. I sold one a few years back with an OEM Panerai gator and a really nice PAM deployant for 750.00 USD, serviced and lumed by Ziggy, T-48 crown and lello DW and a Jacobs caseback. one like that now would probably be well over 1K !!