When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PT 1665 and 1680s

brooksbrahs

Are the PT 1665 cases as good as the 1869 cases are supposed to be? Im looking for a good mid-range rep to get into vintage pieces. Id rather have a GWSD but if the 1680 cases are that much better, Id go with that. Im looking for something acceptable OTB, and that I can mod as I go. Don't want to go into Phong cases, but Id definitely pick up an MBW if I could find one. Cheers!

I have a PT 1665 that I had modded. Overall, I was happy enough with it OOB, but there were some things (like the yellow markers) that drove me crazy. That's why I had the dial replaced with an InGod dial, and the crown changed to gen, but other than that it was a pretty good rep overall... Maybe an MBW would've been nicer, but the 1665 had all the gaskets in the right spot, so it tested waterproof for as far as my watchmaker's tester would go. I'd say go for it - it was a cheap rep and was pretty easily modded.

I think the PT 1665 GWSD is a decent rep. Don't mess with the crystal and bezel. If you do, you'll probably have to end up getting a gen like bezel assembly.

Trim the cgs, maybe put a gen crown on there and then just age it. Like WW12345, putting a better dial in there is also a good mod to make.

Pluses are the 2846-2 movement (which you might have to service)

93150 bracelet with 580 ends (the crown emblem on the clasp ain't great)

Lugholes are close to gen spec

bezel insert is decent- better than MBW 

DWO is good also- flat top 3s and open 6/9s.

Oh, that's right - unless you intend on going gen-like bezel assembly, don't mess with it. IIRC, I had to have JMB mill a new retaining ring that would work with the PT bezel and the case, because I thought a Clarks T39 would just plop right in... It doesn't without a little elbow grease and a new ring, just as an FYI. However, do put the gasket in underneath the existing ring if you plan on getting the watch wet at all. While it has all the proper ring spots, it doesn't include all the rings. :S