When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Loose Bezel on BP sub

BigEd781

So I got my BP sub-c (c... not really, but meh) and I noticed something that I didn't in the QC pics.  I found a gap on one side of the bezel.  So I tried to push on it a bit and realized that I could push it down quite easily. I can't make it stick though, so if I push one side down the other lifts up slightly.  I'm not used to being able to push the bezel down at all as this is my first rep.

I haven't contacted the dealer yet because I am inexperienced and don't know exactly what to expect.  So, I'm looking for an opinion from someone here who knows more than I.  I would rather not send the watch back even if it came to that, so any ideas on how to fix it would be appreciated as well.  Thanks in advance.

Yeah, it's not the gap that bothers so much as it is the bezel having so much play.  I can even move it side to side. That said, I picked up some tools prior to getting my first order as I expected to be rolling up my sleeves on some of these.

Edited by BigEd781

Sorry, but one more question.

So I called four watch repair shops (mom & pop) and none of them will service a rep, flat out refused. I gave them the whole spiel about it being sentimental, wouldn't hold them responsible for any damage, yada yada yada, but they all seem very afraid of losing their agreements with the manufacturers.

Anyway, as I have had little luck finding someone in the CONUS to do the job, I would feel more comfortable performing surgery myself if I knew the cause of the problem. If I understand what may be causing this I will at least know what to look for and how to fix it.

Also, just to be clear, when I say that the bezel is loose I don't mean that it is loose in the rotational axis. It is loose in the space between it and the midcase, as well as side to side. I think you understood that already, but I want to make sure. Thanks for any help you can offer.

The retainers on those bp's are small and can easily go lower on one side compared to the other. You can't fix it without removing the insert. If you can get the insert off without taking the bezel off, it's a very simple fix. If you can't get the insert off then it requires a little more work. Lets go with removing the bezel. You have 4 springs with 3 balls and a clicker under the bezel. When you pry the bezel off be very careful not to loose those springs. DO NOT PICK THE WATCH UP!! The odd shaped ball goes in the lower left corner. With the bezel  in your hand, begin to remove the insert by slowly and gently applyling pressure up. Be patience it will release. Now, your retainer is inside the bezel. Either push or press it out of the bezel. Now you're ready to install. Put the spring and balls in their holes. Here is what's different. Place your bezel on first on top of the springs. Then put your retainer on, with the fat side up. Carefully press down untill you make contact with the bezel. Try to keep the retainer level. Don't pick the watch up to look at it until you have a little pressure on the springs, they will fall back out. As soon as they do, the spring gremlin will snatch them up and you will never see them again. That gremlin is so fast you won't see him either.  Now gently press the retainer down checking it as you go until you have the desired tension on your bezel when you rotate it. Once you like the feel, install the insert by lining up the 2 12 o'clock markers. Be sure and use firm gentle pressure on the insert because it is ceramic and can crack very easily. Enjoy your watch