When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

US to UK Shipping Advice Pls

joby

Hi all, I am looking at a M2M sale from the US to be shipped to the UK - have searched and read a load of stuff about options but nothing clear from recent times. Using USPS Priority International seems popular, but this seems to cause problems once it gets to the UK with ParcelForce customs checks and additional fees. I wonder if the size and declared value is small then it would go via Royal Mail once it hits the UK rather than parcel force making things easier?

Needs to be fully trackable really (talking about a $400 watch) so I don't fancy risking USPS First Class. Also seems an option to use FEDEX or DHL. Also be interested to know what the best options for the content/value for the customs declaration are.

Anyone with some recent experience be so kind as to offer some advice? TIA
Edited by joby

I've had several packages sent US to UK over the last six months. I've never requested a particular service but left it to the sender. The only thing I've asked is that they declare it low value and a broken watch/watch parts. I've had DHL, UPS and even USPS from memory. The tracking is hit and miss once it leaves the USA but should tell you when it's been delivered. It's usually the Royal Mail postman than brings my broken watches. I've only had to pay customs once - when it was declared about £150 value. Good luck.

Thanks kernow - that's useful. When you say low value - do you mean under £15 as a commercial transaction (which seems a bit too low - might attract attention), or under £36 as a gift? From reading it seems that below both of these thresholds avoids duty and VAT, and hence the Royal Mail/Parcel Force fee. I'm thinking maybe a $50 (£30) value as a gift for a watch case and bracelet....