When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

16750 Franken Build First Picture

droptopman

Good morning,

GMT build is almost complete. My man Matt built the watch and the case was modded by Rolex Addict. Matt sent my a pic of the assembled watch yesterday and being like a little kid, I cannot wait to post. I started this project when I first joined the forum back in December. Parts have come from all over the world and the case has traveled all over the world as well. Many experienced members warned me about attempting this build and I can see why. It has been a long and frustrating process, but also a really good learning experience. In the end, it is a beautiful time piece, but..... I am still not totally satisfied with the case. I have way to much $ into this project to be less than 100% satisfied so I am searching for a gen case or beat up gen watch to finish the project. No big hurry, I am scouring the internet looking for a decent priced case set or watch. In the meantime I have one of my grails to wear on the wrist. I have been wearing Rolex's since the 80's but I have never had a GMT, so this is very exciting for me. In the past I just bought watches and this is my first time sourcing all the parts and doing a project like this. This is really one of the coolest parts of the hobby which I never enjoyed before. Learned much about Rolex history, models, parts and all those crazy model numbers doing this project.

I cannot express enough gratitude for Matt. He generally does not do "sport watch" builds and this project had many obstacles. Matt is a genius watch smith, a true gentleman, and one of my favorite peeps. Thank you Matt.

Build Specs:

Cartel case modded by Rolex Addict

"Swiss" movement paid for but actually a clone......runs good

Aftermarket bezel assembly that Matt sourced

Aftermarket hands relumed by Cwazy

Matt DWO

Gen Dial relumed by Cwazy

Gen Insert

Gen Crown

Gen Crystal

Gen Jubilee

While there are flaws on the case, I am very pleased with the overall look of the watch. I will post more pictures next week when I have her on the wrist.

post-60288-0-80434100-1406986888_thumb.j

Matt just sent another pic

satyhyma.jpg

Mark

• Like 1