When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Winding for Explorer I with 2824 movement

louie_figo

Hi,

Sorry for the noob question but hoping people can shed a bit more light on this...

I recently acquired a rep Explorer I 114270 with 2824 movement. I am having trouble working out what is the correct way to wind this watch as I have not owned a Rolex before.

I have read that it is supposed to be turning the crown in clockwise/upward direction when the crown is unscrewed. Is that correct? As mine will not allow me to turn the crown in that direction when unscrewed. However, I can adjust the time, etc by pulling crown into subsequent positions. Am I doing it right?

I don't want to break anything by forcefully turning it in the recommended direction. And what is interesting is when i turn the crown counter-clockwise, I hear "clicks" as I turn. So am I loosening the spring? Or am I actually winding it but somehow turning it in the counter-clockwise direction?

Really confused at the moment, so would appreciate any help!

Thanks!!

It is not important the brand of the watch, but the movement.

Standard ETA 2824 in this case (Asian clone is the same). Unscrew the crown from the tube (counterclockwise ), when it's fully out rotate clockwise to wind. Do not force! If it is blocked make a watchsmith to service it. The clicks you hear rotating counterclockwise are normal, it's the winding system clutch doing its work.

By the way, IF you wear it, doesn't it start running after few minutes?

Edited by GenTLe

Thanks for your reply Gentle.

It feels like what you have describe is the case. I think most likely it is blocked. But I am not sure why, since the watch is almost new.

When fully out, I can rotate it counter-clockwise freely as I previously stated. However, the most I could rotate clockwise is probably 1-2mm in distance - so a tiny bit before I run into resistance.

When I wear it, the watch usually ticks for about 5-10mins before stopping again. The watch is on the wrist the whole time.

Sounds like a faulty movement hey?

Yep, looks like it has some problem. Tell this to the dealer, then it's a matter of your choice: he will tell you to send it back...

In such case, wearing your dress, I'd instead propose a discount on the next purchase and I'll made the watch to be serviced from a watchsmith that is replica friend (I can't suggest as I'm in Italy, and don't know where you're located). This way you'll get a proper movement (cleaned and oiled), a discount on the next purchase, and you'll not go into the hassle of sending back to China (doubling custom risks) for good money your watch remaining without it for months...

Tell the watchsmith that the clone 2824 accepts gen ETA replacement parts (only difference and only for the Seagull one is at balance bridge level, which is not interested by your problem).

PS: this obviously is worth if the piece you have is a good rep (let's say around or over 300$). The ones containing cheap 21j clone of the Miyota (normally called Asian 21j 21.600BPH) are not worth a service, in my humble opinion, as you can find a new caliber for like 35$.

Edited by GenTLe