When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

People doing the Franken PO Gen crown and tube heads up !

APguy1

Hi there,

I have been an unfortunate one that has encounter a problem that has cost me a large sum of money because the person who built my planet ocean did not install the stem/crown/tube correctly.

Let me explain.

My Franken Planet Ocean is a 90% genuine watch with the following upgrades:

Gen bezel assembly

Gen dial

Gen hands

Gen eta 2824-2 movement

Gen end links

Gen bracelet sections

Gen clasp

Gen crown and tube

Gen DWO

So as you can see I have spent an awful lot on this watch !! Roughly £850

The issue that led to a vast sum of money is this:

The so called watchmaker that assembled the watch installed the tube too deep into the case which meant that the crown only screwed down 2 turns.

That was very difficult to screw down the crown.

This was was pressure tested to 50ATM

The stem was installed too long which put too much pressure on the crown when it was being screwed down. This also forced the stem into the movement.

You can probably see where I'm going with this now;

Last week I wen to set the time on my watch and the crown and tube stripped it's self and the stem snapped inside this Swiss ETA movement!!!!!!!!

My heart sank,

I did not have this watch made for me the person I purchased the watch have it to his "watchmaker" to build. This watchmaker is not on the rep boards so this is a safe thing.

I however am a training watchmaker and I know how to work on watches like these so I did not have to send it away to be fixed which saved a lot of money.

I had to replace the following:

Stem

Crown

Tube

Swiss movement

All in total it cost me £220. All because the crown and tube was installed incorrectly.

Please be warned people, if your watch has the following symptoms get it checked out.

Some May question why I didn't just repair the movement that was already in it, I dissembles the movement to find parts in the keyless bent and buckled. It would have a knock on affect on the whole movement hence it was replaced.

Here are some pictures for you to see:

uqe4aveq.jpgzetyrady.jpgnaqy5u9e.jpgazave8ap.jpgmugebe5a.jpg

Thanks,

Olly

Sorry to hear about your problem, but thanks for sharing. I have pretty much the same spec on my PO. I do my own mods, however I've been holding off on the crown and tube as the rep one hasn't been giving me any problems. I did replace the HE valve with a gen, as that is a big tell on the v.5 PO.

a5esu4y7.jpg

u9abuga5.jpg

I use a marine epoxy JB Weld 2 part. The tube should have a little lip on the middle of the part where the threaded part would screw into the case. That lip should sit flat on the case. That way the crown will screw down tight to the case and will capture the 2 gaskets inside the crown .

I use a marine epoxy JB Weld 2 part. The tube should have a little lip on the middle of the part where the threaded part would screw into the case. That lip should sit flat on the case. That way the crown will screw down tight to the case and will capture the 2 gaskets inside the crown .

I have the same epoxy but I am wondering what if the tube needs to be replaced in the future.

Will the epoxy make the fix extremely complicated? Just asking..

Hi Olly, not yet, I did the mod once in the past and it works well (touching wood..). As being said, I am just wondering if it will be extremely complicated when a new tube needs to be fitted again in the case. However I don't see plenty of options here.

Sorry to hear about the problems you had with your PO and table for the heads-up. I'm looking to franken my PO and will take heed of your warnings.

Watch will be looking and running fine with all the mods done now :)