When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep-Friendly Watch Repair Near San Diego?

BigEd781

So, long story short, my first rep purchase didn't go so well. My BP Sub Hulk is a lemon. Bezel has a ton of play in the _vertical_ direction, one of the SEL's is bent (was visible in QC pics, so partly my fault), and the damn winding stem came out as soon as I tried to set the time. Not pleased.

Anyway, the "trusted dealer" refuses to give me a refund. He has offered to repair it for me, but in my opinion it makes no sense to expect him to repair the watch when he sent it in this condition in the first place. I don't believe that all of this happened in transit, plus, he won't even pay for return shipping. I realize I didn't buy something from Amazon here, and he seems like a nice enough guys, but talking to him is like talking to a wall and I'm just not going to ship it back to China.

So, I would like to have the watch fixed. I have talked to all of the repair shops I could find in and around SD and none of them will touch it. I would be fine with sending it to someone in the CONUS who has a history of performing these sorts of repairs on the forum, but I haven't been able to find anyone still taking work. If you guys no of an option I would be very grateful as I don't want to screw up my watch further trying to fix it myself.

Edited by BigEd781

while i have had TDs fix issues, i have never had them pay for return shipping so that expectation of yours might need an adjustment

other than i have no experience with Subs but most rep bezels can be easily popped on/off with an Exacto. There's usually a spring with a couple of raised tabs that flex one way to control the bezel's direction and stability. You could try and fix it yourself

as for the stem, if the watch works and it seals shut I'd grin and bear it

p.s.

i know a couple of watch shops up in south OC you can take your sub to but the time/money spent would probably be undercut by shipping it back to the dealer

Bloody BP ones... I have had 2 of them, both came with a mixed eta clone and eta gen movements (both paid as asian clones, and this makes me think one more time that there is NO difference in BP watches between Asian and ETA versions...). The first one got crown and stem flying away at 1st time regulation (brand new), the second, again brand new, got the stem not going back into winding position after time and date regulation.

Both with hard keyless mechanics.

I'm now fixing them, but never again any bloody BP rubbish.

Ah, and no, they aren't using the "pos" Z2 movement...

while i have had TDs fix issues, i have never had them pay for return shipping so that expectation of yours might need an adjustment

other than i have no experience with Subs but most rep bezels can be easily popped on/off with an Exacto. There's usually a spring with a couple of raised tabs that flex one way to control the bezel's direction and stability. You could try and fix it yourself

as for the stem, if the watch works and it seals shut I'd grin and bear it

p.s.

i know a couple of watch shops up in south OC you can take your sub to but the time/money spent would probably be undercut by shipping it back to the dealer

Well, I didn't go in thinking he would pay for return shipping, but any _reputable_ business would, so I had some hope.  I can accept that this is just how it goes when dealing with reps, but the fact remains that I don't want to ship it back, so I'm really just looking for a repair.

I have found a couple of resources for the bezel repair thanks to some googling and help from people on this forum.  If it were just that I would probably try it, but the watch does not work due to the stem issue.  I can't get it to latch, so I can't set the time.  I don't feel comfortable attempting that repair.  I'd rather just pay someone who knows what they're doing to do it right.

Bloody BP ones... I have had 2 of them, both came with a mixed eta clone and eta gen movements (both paid as asian clones, and this makes me think one more time that there is NO difference in BP watches between Asian and ETA versions...). The first one got crown and stem flying away at 1st time regulation (brand new), the second, again brand new, got the stem not going back into winding position after time and date regulation.

Both with hard keyless mechanics.

I'm now fixing them, but never again any bloody BP rubbish.

Ah, and no, they aren't using the "pos" Z2 movement...

Yeah, I've learned my lesson on BP's.

Edited by BigEd781

Didn't even see this and I can no longer edit.

p.s.

I would appreciate the names of the shops. It's not so much an issue of money as it is one of simply not trusting the dealer to do a good job. In my mind it makes no sense to think that he will do the right thing this time when he sent me this lemon to begin with.

• 4 weeks later...