When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Loose Divers Extension On Po

Devedander

So I got my 42.5 PO from Silix today and it has the loose divers extension problem in which it just falls open on it's own... I have seen this mentioned before and I think people say they fixed it, but my searches turn up nothing (the search feature on this forum is awfully unforgiving or something, I get a LOT of 0 results searches for common things).

I tried to take the extension apart so I could spread the clasp with a screwdriver or something, but the pin that holds the extension in place does not want to budge... I went at it with the easy pin remover as well as a pin pusher and hammer... couldn't budge it 1 mm...

Can someone point me to how this is fixed?

Thanks!

Edited by Devedander

Are you sure you are tucking the end part of the divers extension under the ridge on the clasp before you are snaping it shut? Don't ask me for details on this as I can not explain it any better. I just know if you don't put the end under the ridge first it will pop open. Just examine the clasp carefully.

Usil

Yeah I know about that part... I have a Seamaster bond that the extension works perfectly on and I noticed that also...

On this one if you look at the little hooks or whatever that are supposed to engage between the two pieces of the divers extension, they just aren't very pronounced or the inside part is not spread out enough (not sure if that's clear but maybe I can get a picture up later).

There should be pressure and then a sort of snap as it goes into place, mine is loose enough there is no pressure at all and so obviously no snap... it just slides right in and slides right back out. It's smooth enough that if you didn't know it was supposed to click you would think it was designed to simply be smooth and fall open every time.

I was thinking I coudl take it apart and pris the inside portion outwords but the pin that holds the extension to the half link on it's side is impossible to remove... I hammered at it and everything, no go...

Edited by Devedander

Heh... well I would rather not resort to that as it's nice having the extention (although like you I will probably never use it - it would be nice not to ahve to say "oh that piece, yeah it doesn't work so I glued it down).

Just to clear it up here is a quick video of how easily it pops open

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Dev...nt=DSCN0412.flv

To be fair that's actually more than it usually holds on it's own... I only have to shake it because holding it one handed puts it in a position where just the leverage of the half link against the clasp at the corner keeps it from falling open, the little catches or teeth that should hold it literally do nothing...

I see what you are dealaing with. Seems that you are doing it the right way so this presents a problem. I find it difficult to know exactly what piece needs repositioning. It is not alway clear when you look at it. Left or right, tighter or what ever. Generally, you are forced to trial and error - meanwhile you muck up the bracelet. Maybe glue is not such a bad idea.

Usil

I think I see what needs to change but I can't make it change...

If you look at this picture the black circle shows the teeth that are supposed to catch for the divers extention to lock shut (as you can see they are not very pronounced) and in order to make them grab better I would want to seperate the clasp in the direction shown by the black arrows... but I can't get the pin that the red arrow points to out... I damn near broke my pin pusher and hammered away for a good 5 minutes and NADA... that thing must be welded in or something....

I went at the clasp with a flathead screwdriver where it is, but I can't get enough room to move to make the clasp stay wider open (in the direction of the black arrows) while it's still stuck in the half link...post-3411-1165948654_thumb.jpg

Edited by Devedander

I got my PO out and took a look at what you are pointing at. I saw a very poor excuse for a ridge that interlocks with the groove and I am surprised mine works at all. Based on a few bracelets I have worked on, it does not take much movement to actually make something work but it takes a whole lot of effort to get it to move.

Sorry I can not help.

Usil

Edited by Usil

Dont know if this would work, but what about gently squeezing together

the opposite end

where the clasp meets the bracelet.

should give the same result

I had thought about that, but if you notice the part I would squeeze is not a single piece, it is two bars that have a pin riveted through them on the non clasp end (the center of the estension) I think if I squeeze these it will just bend the pin, not the thick metal parts and result in a stiff or impobil, possibly non fitting extesntion and since it's riveted I can't replace this pin if it gets bent...

I appreciate the suggestion though!

I got my PO out and took a look at what yoiu are pointing at. I saw a very poor excuse for a ridge that interlocks with the groove and I am surprised mine works at all. Based on a few bracelets I have worked on, it does not take much movement to actually make soemthing work but it takes a whole lot of effort to get it to move.

Sorry I can not help.

Usil

Yes, I wish this ridge was the opposite, poorly cut and so TOO BIG, that I could just file down until it works, this one is harder since I can't add material... I may just end up asking Silix if I can purchase a new clasp part for a bracelet or something, although I am wondering if they are just all like this...

I would not give up yet. I just thought of something.

Get some JB Weld (2 part epoxy/metal) and carefully apply a small amount and make a ridge in the appropriate places. Let it harden overnight and then work on it untill it fits. Clean the area with alcohol 1st and then apply the JB Weld. It should work with a little filing.

Usil