When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need Help Fitting Crown

bruce79

might you answer for me this quick question, I just received my new thicker crown from palp and am having trouble fitting the stem from my joshua 112h to it. Is there a trick to this or could it be that the threadings may not be lining up. The stem won't screw into the new crown and I don't want to force it and cross the threads. Thanks

might you answer for me this quick question, I just received my new thicker crown from palp and am having trouble fitting the stem from my joshua 112h to it. Is there a trick to this or could it be that the threadings may not be lining up. The stem won't screw into the new crown and I don't want to force it and cross the threads. Thanks

You could have one of two problems...

1. Crowns come in two sizes, 0.90 and 1.20mm, confirm that the crown you have is a 1.20mm hole.

2. If you cut the stem of the new watch you have to make sure that the threads are filled down and there is no burr on the threaded portion. If you simply removed the old stem from the old crown, this should not be an issue...

I have noted some problems with the thread cutting on these ones, if after checking the above, you still can't get it to work, have a look at the hole under a good light and a loupe...you should be able to see the threads clearly, could be it was not tapped following drilling...

RG

After removing the stem from the old crown, there was tons of glue all crusted in the threadings. I soaked it in hot soapy water and brushed it clean. Then I used my dremel and cutting wheel to sand it down a bit and clean up the sides of the tip. I went a little overboard though, if I'd sanded it any more it would be too short. :rolleyes:

I sprayed a little WD40 on the threading and it went in :) I forgot to glue it though and I could only set the time going forward :o I need to glue it when I get home from work.

I wiped the WD40 off the stem really well but do you recommend soaking it in soapy water again and drying it really well before installing it for good? Thanks

I wiped the WD40 off the stem really well but do you recommend soaking it in soapy water again and drying it really well before installing it for good? Thanks

I would scrub it well with soad and water to remove any trace of WD40.

If you put a bit of 3 in one oil on the crown where it seats into the case it will be fine...a dab of instant glue and it will secure it in place.

RG