When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Big Pilot

Tsomas

I'm planning on buying this watch but have a question to you guys. 

pf-818.com/iwbp01001c-pilot-5019-cerny-black-asian-p-15865.html

It sais No Recess Date, what does that mean?

And what about "Fixed Power Reserve Indicator"?

What does that mean?

Otherwise, is it a good watch?

EDIT:

Think I like this better:

www.pf-818.com/iwp00101a-3799-doppel-chrono-cerle-black-a7750-p-11569.html

But whats the difference from this one:

www.pf-818.com/iwp00101-3799-doppel-chrono-cerny-black-a7750-p-10585.html

www.pf-818.com/0iwp10003-3789-pilot-chrono-cernyblk-swiss-7750-p-11423.html

Which one do you recommend?

Edited by Tsomas

Thanks for the quick answer!

After further research Im down to this 2:

www.pf-818.com/iwp00101-3799-doppel-chrono-cerny-black-a7750-p-10585.html

www.pf-818.com/0iwp10003-3789-pilot-chrono-cernyblk-swiss-7750-p-11423.html

Eather the one with Asia movment or the swiss? Is 900 bucks a bit expencive tho?

I earn 4500 bucks after taxs, so the economy wont hurt, but is it wort paying so much for a 1:1 replica?

500$ is the market value of a real swiss ETA 7750 if you calculate the price of the movement, shipping from EU and the cost for a watch smith's work to put it into your watch. If you want to buy it yourself take a look at eBay. You can also look for gen IWC 79320 which is in fact much better than the "normal" ETA 7750. Price around 700$ plus shipping plus watch smith.

If you change the movement after buying the watch with the A7750 (what I reccomend you to do) you can sell the A7750 in the rep forums, it's worth around 100$.

And YES, an ETA 7750 is some universes better than an A7750 and worth the money! It's only I woudn't trust the chinese boys, they sometimes sell some very strange "real ETA 7750"...

Edited by higginsd

How does that come?

On some movements such as the 7750 the date wheel is engaged for an extended period of time during the date changeover. This period can start well before 12:00 and end well after 12:00. It does not have an instant clickover like the other ETA calibres. If you change the date manually while the date wheel is engaged with the movement, you may cause damage. Just to be safe, it's a general rule not to try and change the date of any watch during the midnight hours. On a 7750 you "won't be able to" and forcibly doing so will break the date change gear.

The hour wheel goes around 24 hours and drives another gear with a single pin or protruding tooth. In other words this tooth will engage a gear once every 24 hours. What happens at midnight, the tooth engages a gear on the day wheel and depending on the movement design another gear with a similar tooth engages the date wheel.

With the 2824 and the 2892 (and most other quicksets) the single tooth that advances the date wheel is sprung so the it will retract when the date wheel is forced over it. It will generally hang up requiring the time to be advanced 24 hours to clear the fault. The fixed tooth date advance movements like the 7750 are the ones where especially important not to set date "between 8 and 4" ;)

• Like 1

Btw, higginsd has given you fully correct info on eta/oem IWC. Before you later start thinking about putting funds into movement upgrade, be aware that opinions on the quality of the a7750 vary. Be sure to search around and read up on eg these two threads:

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/120049-a7750-vs-eta-7750/

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/146164-why-i-love-the-asian-7750-and-i-think-it-does-not-get-enough-credits/

• Like 1