When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Tool

Devedander

It seems Rolex caseback tools come in both nylon and metal... I was wondering if there is a concensous as to which one is better... it seems nylon would run less chance of scratching things, but might bet stripped easily and not be as tough overall. Metal ones seem like they would be more durable but might run the risk of scratching stuff up if you slip...

So what do you guys go for?

Case back wrenches for Rolex should be metal, the reason that the caseback has teeth is to allow it to mesh with the teeth on the wrench, nylon just wont' do the same.

If your using a correct case opening tool, the watch is held down, the caseback tool is screwed down and held tight against the case back, mating with the teeth, and there is no risk of slippage.

Since the nylon cant' mesh with the teeth, your left to generate the required friction by pressing harder on the nylon tool, and risking damage to the bezel or crystal from this pressure...

LG Openall is a cheap (price $$) but very effective and safe tool for opening all Rolex casebacks...

RG

RG

Thanks The Zigmeister! it's always hard for me in those situations where theoretically both have some advantage!

Got a movement holder from birdman so hopefully that and a metal caseback tool will get me into my Rolexes so I can... well... see the inside :D

BTW out of curiousity are metal tools usually made of aluminum or steel?