When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ok, which of you will bid on this?

dbane883

All that text and not a single use of the words "Mayer" or "Texas"! Considering how the 3CROC debate eventually led to microscopic comparisons of the Singer engraving, it's going to take more than that dial backside shot to convince the VRF guys.

I'm curious as to whether the handset on this one is original to the watch. I've never seen a 6263 (let alone a 6240) with those early subdial hands.

Very interesting (second) VRF thread on this now open with high res scans and an ani gif.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/message/1413474784/the+black+ghost+ROC+Paul+Newman+dial%2C+the+pics

It's certainly an original Singer dial but as to who changed it to ROC from RC and removed the Daytona......?!? The close ups showing the same slight errors/smudges and minute details on the ROC print are fascinating. That does look like it was made by the same printing cliche.

Edited by theblueprince

There is no clear documentation nor official opinion from Rolex saying that the dial is not genuine.  Until that happens, they will try to fetch the highest price and allow the market to decide how "genuine" it is.   

I suspect it will sell on the high range of the estimate though.   I think it's a legit dial

I think a cpl of the VRF posters have hit it on the head. It's an original RC Daytona dial and it's either been - 

Modified by Singer/Rolex/An approved agent back in the day.

OR

Modified by ??? who has gotten access to the original print cliche and either used it directly or used modern cad/cam tech to copy it exactly to make themselves a new cliche. Speaking to a friend who uses this modern type of tech to engineer parts to a much higher toleracne than would be required for this operation it would even be possible to make a new cliche with the same "warts 'n' all" errors in the print just from having an oriignal ROC dial to prove from. Obviously this would be a big investment in skill/time/money/tech but when you're talking $500K sales the numbers start to add up.