When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Problem With My New Precious And Need Your Advice...

M5kirk

Well, I received my IWC GST Titanium from Joshua and it is beautiful. After getting an extra link (thanks bklm1234) it fits great. Just one problem.... the date won't set now. When I first received it both the day and date set fine. Had it sitting in the box waiting for the new link and it ran down. Got the link installed went to set time/day/date again and the time and day set fine but when I try to set the date I can hear it "clicking" but the date wheel doesn't move. I'm looking at 3 options and would really value your opinions.

1. Contact Joshua and ask for a replacement (although since it did work fine when I received it I don't really feel that it's Joshua's problem).

2. Send off to The Zigmeister/RBJ/etc... to have it serviced. I know that it has the asian 7750 in it, which I've had problems with in the past, so I'm not sure if this movement is worth having serviced or not (especially since it's already giving me problems and I haven't even worn the watch yet)

3. Pay for a new Swiss 7750 and have it transplanted. I know this would not be cheap but I plan on keeping this watch for the long run and putting a gen dial in also, so it probably would be worth it to me. Anyone know if a genuine 7750 would swap into this watch without too much difficulty? Any good sources to purchase a 7750 would also be great (I've just been scouring Ebay).

Just not sure which way I should go here... I love the watch so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Kirk

i'm having the exact same issue with my Breitling GT. Right now it is set properly but once the end of February gets here, or if the watch winds down i won't be able to set the day/date. I'll probably send it to The Zigmeister for a full service and repair after christmas - need to spend money on other people right now.

Transplanting a Swiss 7750 sounds like a good idea to me too though - I really like this watch and may consider doing that as well.

Possibly you tried to reset the date when the watch was between 10pm and 2am. If that is the case allowing it to run for 48 hours may rectify the problem. Replacing the Asian 7750 with the ETA has been done before. The sub-dial hands won't fit but I think that I have a source for ETA fit alternatives.

While the hands are at certian positions you can not change the date because the hands are in the way under the date wheel so try it at other time of day or set your hour and minute hands away from date area and try. I do not think your watch is broken, this is common with alot of watches............Wan

It sounds like your trying to set the date during the time when you should not be trying to set it...

If the day worked good, but the date did not, that indicates to me that the date switchover gear is engaged into the date wheel.

The same gear from the stem switches both the day and date, if one is not working, and you hear "Clicking" then all indications are that it's a user issue, not a movement one...

Did you read the basics 101 and 102 in my signature, it's got details on what to do with that watch, and how to set it up when you first get it...trying to change the day or date when your not supposed to can damage the movement.

From your description, I would say it's not a defect, if you could hear clicking when turning the crown, you may have caused damage and it won't work at all now...

RG

Thanks for all the advice guys....

@The Zigmeister... I have read your basics 101 & 102 and had completely forgotten about not changing the date between 10 & 2. It was about 10:30 in the evening when I was trying to do this... doh! :bangin:

Hopefully I haven't damaged the movement... Thanks again for all the replies.

Cheers!

Kirk

It's unlikely you damaged anything, the day wheel will pop off if you try and change it when your not supposed to, but the day one should be fine...

The clicking you heard in the gears skipping, try moving the time past midnight and see if both work ok, and then set the time and then change the date/day...

RG