When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cleaning / Rinsing fluids - mould/bacteria?

fraggle42

Hi all,

Watch cleaning fluids, L&R 566 cleaner and L&R ultrasonic rinse to be precise, is this OK to be left in the cleaners for a few weeks between uses?

When I got my current US cleaner I filled it with boiled water and added some cleaning fluid concentrate as per the instructions, and on the few things I experimented with it worked fine (the boiled water was just to play around with, I didn't intend to clean watch parts in it).

And then the US cleaner was put away with the fluid still in it (with the lid on). I honestly didn't expect bacteria / mould to grow in a cleaning fluid, but it did. Not a lot, but enough to form a skin around the basket at the surface level. The intention wasn't to put it away for weeks, but it was moved to one side, and then moved to the garage, and then moved out of the way and forgotten about, as is life.

Does anyone know if L&R be left in a non air tight container for ages without any ill effects, or does it go mouldy/form a skin/gloop too?

The US cleaner has got a drain valve which I can use when I know it's not going to be used for ages, and I'm planning on using the other little US cleaner I have for the rinse, but it is a pain to drain. I could use a jug instead (easy to pour back into the big L&R container)

Thanks.

I think it would be fine if you used it regularly, but having lots of part time hobbies and also being a couch bear who likes hibernating in front of the TV means mine doesn't get used that much!

(I was taking a drug that is used for quite a few symptoms, one being a sleeping pill. Was taking it for a while, over a year, so my brain relied on it to sleep. Now I don't take it my body / brain is slowly relearning how to sleep, it's very odd - currently tired all the time and need 10+ hours of sleep a night)