When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Want to build: Another 6263 franken help...

Elliaz

Fellow RWG members,

As I think I've acknowledged sufficient information of rep builds and modding, I am ready to start my "holy grail"-buid of a 6263 (Same as many others here on the forum). After seeing Whoopy12's and Bcampion's build (which was sold right before I saw it) I felt the urge that I have to build one myself and I know that it can take up to a year at least until the product is finished...

Although I need some help on the way. Which parts should be reps and which parts should be gen..?

My budget is approximately 6000$ and I'd like to state that I, like most people, would not just want to buy the first parts I spot but most preferably would like a decent price of course, and I am well aware of that it can take a whole lot browsing, bidding, searching and work to get it right.

My thoughts are: 
Where should I look if I would like to purchase a Service dial or an Original one, eBay and VRM? 
Should I stick to a Phong case and would it fit a DW bezel?
Which other parts do you think should be Gen except the Dial, hands and bracelet?

I know my budget would break if I for example bought an original dial instead of a service dial and the more gen parts I put in to it. 

Thank you for your patience and time,
Elliaz

If I had 6000$ to make a daytona, I would use this recipe.

Phong's case 1200$ Appx

V72 or 726 movement 1200$ appx (tip: try to get one from a member here)

Gen p302 pushers and gen crown/tube appx 1000$

Gen tropic 21 not much let's say 200$ tops

That makes appx 3600$ And leaves you with 2400$ to get a service dial and hands. You may need to spend a tad more for the dial/hands but not that much more.

I usually send my parts to phong and he retaps his case to accept the gen tube and pushers, he then installs the movement, dial, hands and crystal. It comes back as a completed watch.

If I had 6000$ to make a daytona, I would use this recipe.

Phong's case 1200$ Appx

V72 or 726 movement 1200$ appx (tip: try to get one from a member here)

Gen p302 pushers and gen crown/tube appx 1000$

Gen tropic 21 not much let's say 200$ tops

That makes appx 3600$ And leaves you with 2400$ to get a service dial and hands. You may need to spend a tad more for the dial/hands but not that much more.

I usually send my parts to phong and he retaps his case to accept the gen tube and pushers, he then installs the movement, dial, hands and crystal. It comes back as a completed watch.

Thanks CC! Always there when in need!

I think the worst part is paying for Phong parts haha, but if you want the best you have to pay I guess...

And how much would a bracelet cost? 1500$ approximately? Man, I wish I would've bought the Franken that was for sale... Haha but hopefullt this will turn out well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem! I agree it hurts but his cases are the best imo and he does all the work, win win. Don't even worry about the band now, it won't be anywhere near 1500$ it's 19mm, they don't cost much. It feels really good to build your own, you'll see!

Haven't focused on the bracelet as I'll first look for the head at least! The thing is, I'm located in Europe, will that give me any major issues while shipping front and back to Phong? Hmm..

Nice Silver Tritium service dial for about $1500 on VRM a few days ago you could try to grab. Hands are hard to get though but if you're getting Phong to build it might as well let him use his hands.

Haven't seen the dial and can't find it!! Saw some hands at ridiculous prices so, unless if Phong's not building the case and it is HIGHLY recomended to stick to Gen, I might try to source some later on!

One small point - I'd avoid a DW bezel and rather go for a WatchNY. That 110 spacing is a deal breaker for me.

Happy hunting.

Oh yes! That's the one I read about but misquoted myself as I was thinking the maker was DW!

Thanks to all of you lads!!

One small point - I'd avoid a DW bezel and rather go for a WatchNY. That 110 spacing is a deal breaker for me.

Based on photos from his recent eBay listings, DW's fixed a number of issues with his acrylic insert--including compressing that 110 and switching to fonts that more closely match the earlier bezels (i.e. flat 'S').  Beyond that, I have no idea how the current DW bezel differs from his earlier ones. 

Based on photos from his recent eBay listings, DW's fixed a number of issues with his acrylic insert--including compressing that 110 and switching to fonts that more closely match the earlier bezels (i.e. flat 'S'). Beyond that, I have no idea how the current DW bezel differs from his earlier ones.

Cheers lhooq, interesting to know. I've not seen his latest offerings, I've been a little out of the lhoop (chortle chortle).

Hmm... So DW or not... Where does one source it!

Thanks for some expert help, would've taking me ages to see the differences myself!

Elliaz