When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help - Stem Won't Go Back In

Canuck88

I know that if you try to put the stem back in without unscrewing the little screw on the 6497 it can make something 'snap' into place and thus you won't be able to wind - only set the time... well, I thought i had unscrewed it but this seems to be what happened to me...

Do I have to take the hands and dial off again to 're-set' something?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

I would tighten the screw down all the way, then loosen it about 1.5-2 turns, install the stem gently while turning it CCW as you push it in...when it wont' go in any further, tighten the screw and see if it locks in place, you may have to move the stem in and out a bit to find the set lever lock pin on the stem shaft.

Unlikely that you would have popped anything out of place, unless you unscrewed the stem release too much...

I am guessing you have read through my uncasing a 111 post...it's got a bunch of more details...

RG

Possibly the keyless work messed up.

An easy fix to any watchsmith, but a tricky job to non-experts.

Edit: The Zigmeister posted while I was writing. :notworthy:

I've accidentally unscrewed the release screw too far before... Hence, not allowing the release screw to be tighted up on installing the stem. The fix was easy, but a bit time consuming as the movement had to come back out, the dial and hands taken off and the screw reset into the little plate that it threads into.