When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's with the asian unitas keyless works?

chris5264

I've worked on tons of unitas movements. Lately the last few reps all seem to have the same issue. I also take any luminor pam apart when I get it...make sure all the O-rings are greased and then when I put the crown back into the keyless works it always seems very fussy as if the stem isn't long enough. When I try to push it back after setting the time, it will not click back into winding mode unless you slam the crown guard. Is this just from the keyless work  not having any oil? is there a trick I"m missing? The stem isn't too short...sure of that.. 

The 64xx series has the most stable keyless work of them all. Just don't unscrew the release more than 1,5 turn and make sure the crown is in winding when you remove it. You don't need to slam anything. Just some finesse and a wiggle to slide it through the castle wheel.

Thanks rolexman...yes..I've unscrewed it too far enough times...but this is stranger...I'll get a pam rep...works fine..can set the time and then push the crown back into the winding position. Then I'll take it apart and regrease the gaskets but when I put the crown back in and it no longer will change from the time setting to the winding position because the spring in the crown doesn't push hard enough to reset the keyless works. I can only get it to get back to the winding position by using the crown guard. If just happened once I wouldn't think about it but is the case with three pams now.

That was my first thought...but here is why I"m so OCD about this. When I first got these reps it worked fine. could set time and push it in for winding without and issue. It was only after I took the stem out and replaced it that it wouldn't fit in the same way as it did before. I even tried replacing it with a longer stem but didn't work because with the crown guard you can only get the stem so long and just didn't look right sitting next to the case.