When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DG3804 dwo replacement

sputim

I know it's probably a noob question but it's my first time working on a dg3804 movement and also the first time messing around with the dwo. Since I am in the middle of a 1675 build based on the cartel 1655 case I ordered a dg3804 movement from cousins uk. The movement seems to work fine and all I need to do is to swap the cartel dwo to the dg movement. I tried to pry out the date wheel with a pair of tweezers but this doesn't seem to work since the teeths of the date wheel are sitting around the movement. So do I have to remove the plate (see the marked screws) in order to remove the date wheel or can I simply pry off the dwo of the cartel watch and glue it on top of the dg date wheel?

Any help is appreciated :)

Cheers,

sputim

post-50919-0-18685400-1415452600_thumb.j

This is the picture os the DG3804 from Cousins,

CH3804_BM_Pic1_cmyk.jpg

This is the movement I have too, but yours looks like the inferior model that is supplied in the Cartel 1655. Does it have a purple coloured auto wind wheel on the other side.
Take a picture  of the other side with a clear shot of the balance assembly.

Is there a date wheel overlay on the cartel movement? If so, yes peel it off and position it over the date wheel on your movement.

Don't remove that plate unless you like spending hours on your hands and knees looking for jumper springs ;)

Oh I didn't compare it upon arrival to the one pictured on their website. Now I see it definitely looks different. Something I immediately recognized was that it is very loud and seems to be of inferior quality. I have everything ready for my build except of the cartel 1655 which is on its way via uk but should arrive within 1 or 2 weeks. Hence, I started to mess around with the "dg3804 to see how to swap the dwo over. So in case this is a cheap knock off what should I do? Should I write cousins uk and tell them that they did send me the wrong item? Thanks for you help mate :)

post-50919-0-13006500-1415462335_thumb.j

post-50919-0-71887700-1415462340_thumb.p

post-50919-0-10360600-1415462342_thumb.j

Have a look under the balance wheel and see if the main plate is stamped with the 'horned emblem' if you look at the cousins listing there is 2 pictures the one I posted and the backside, the backside picture you can just make out the emblem.

Also you will not see them blue screws and coloured winding wheel on the cousins picture.

If your movement does not have this then I would contact cousins and query it, highlighting the differences and the fact that the DG movements have the main plate stamped with their logo.

Have a look under the balance wheel and see if the main plate is stamped with the 'horned emblem' if you look at the cousins listing there is 2 pictures the one I posted and the backside, the backside picture you can just make out the emblem.

Also you will not see them blue screws and coloured winding wheel on the cousins picture.

If your movement does not have this then I would contact cousins and query it, highlighting the differences and the fact that the DG movements have the main plate stamped with their logo.

No stamp at all :( This is my first order from cousins uk and this seems highly unprofessional to me. I will contact them asap and see what they do about it. Nevertheless, is the dwo easy to remove from the cartel movement? I somehow didn't find a good tutorial which shows how to remove and change date wheels.

Edit: ok there is a stamp but was only visibli upon very very close inspection. So is it the right dg3804 or not now? Very confused

No stamp at all :( This is my first order from cousins uk and this seems highly unprofessional to me. I will contact them asap and see what they do about it. Nevertheless, is the dwo easy to remove from the cartel movement? I somehow didn't find a good tutorial which shows how to remove and change date wheels.

Edit: ok there is a stamp but was only visibli upon very very close inspection. So is it the right dg3804 or not now? Very confused

Both movements will do the job so use what you have, I have both and prefer the one that is shown on the cousins website.

I would e-mail them with your pictures and point out they are different movements and see what they say.

I used PolexPetes DWO. I used 3M SprayMount (sprayed onto the back of the DWO) to mount it to the date wheel, this is a tacky glue that allows repositioning because it will take a few attempts to get it lined up ok. 

Hope all go's alright and look forward to seeing your build ;)

Ok thank you guys. Figured out that there is no dwo glued on so its just the printed date wheel which I leave as it is and i will glue a dwo on. I did email cousins uk and wait for their answer. Nevertheless, the logo is there and my hands I orderet from rafflestime do fit so it is at least a dg movement even though not the same shown on their website.