When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How Hard Shoud It Be To Wind A Manual Speedmaster

dangerman

Just got my Speedmaster Moonwatch. It's very nice but I find it quite difficult to turn the crown when winding. Is this normal?

The last wind up watch I had was as a kid so my winding muscles are out of shape. Still I do remember that it was quite easy to wind.

Should be smooth and easy but the Venus copy movement doesnt have an overwind clutch. You stop when significant resistance is felt. Be sure to not go past this. Have you let the watch run down completely and then try to wind?? If so and you still feel significant resistance, then I would have it checked out.

The resistance starts to feel almost immediately. You can safely wind it until you get significant resistance, just like CC said.

When I got my Speedy back then I stopped winding as soon as I got some resistance.... and it gave a lousy power reserve. According to mr. Z you can't overwind the Venus/Seagull movement... so there shouldn't be any problems.

To learn more about this excellent rep movement, read Ziggy's review:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=1419

Bazz I agree on the display back .

For whats just a "cheap rep" it's amazing the attention to detail and aesthetics that has gone into the mechanism. Who cares if it looks like the real movement, it just looks gorgeous. Reminds me a bit of the engine on a hot rod.

Now if only I wasn't getting callouses from winding it. Any idea why is it that WD40 is no good?

Edited by dangerman

For whats just a "cheap rep" it's amazing the attention to detail and and aesthetics that has gone into the mechanism. Who cares if it looks like the real movement, it just looks gorgeous. Reminds me a bit of the engine on a hot rod.

I totally agree. The watch isn't dead on accurate but it's one of the best quality reps there is. I have the white dial version of the same watch:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=429

I also had the smaller version of your rep:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=10733

:)

It can be a bit fiddly to wind the crown with the lug guards and pushers, I use my thumb nail and index finger tip. keep winding until you can't do it anymore - 40+ turns from dead. You won't damage it unless you use pliars!

By the way, good choice :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks Baltic.

I'd like a nice gen and the "Speedy is on the list for when the day comes to decide which one. By the way it was your comparison of Speedy Gen and Rep that pushed me strongly toward this one. Excellent post that, plus By-Tors Speedy reduced review and those damn Pugwash pictures.

Puggy you should be in advertising...you make it look so bloody good!

Edited by dangerman

Bazz I agree on the display back .

For whats just a "cheap rep" it's amazing the attention to detail and aesthetics that has gone into the mechanism. Who cares if it looks like the real movement, it just looks gorgeous. Reminds me a bit of the engine on a hot rod.

Now if only I wasn't getting callouses from winding it. Any idea why is it that WD40 is no good?

Because WD-40 is good for cleaning rusty tools and fixing that squeaky door hinge, not to address repair issues with the delacate micro machinery inside a mechanical watch. The lubrication needed for a mechanical watch is limited to very small quantities of highly specialized lubricants at fery specific wear points. I know someone who tried to fix a balky mechanical movement by spraying the inside of the watch with the WD. It's like washing your finest china in the cupboard with a power washer.

Don 't use Macro techniques, tools and substances on your micromachine.