When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Iwc Ingenieur Ss Bracelet Problem

lovepanerai

couldn't find a post about this!

yesterday my Inge deplyoment just separated from the link - looking at it it seemed like it was glued on.

Did anybody have them same problem? Can this be fixed - maybe soldering?

thanks

It has been documented. The bracelet does break there. I haven't read anything about it being glued, though. My thought is to go to Home Depot and buy some JB Weld. Use a toothpick or something fine to apply it to this joint after removing whatever glue residue is there. This is stronger than solder when dry.

That is the fatal flaw on the watch. The thin end of the deployment is simply glued on to the final link on the bracelet and it will ultimately break. Mine did. The gen have the pieces welded together (quite elegantly I might add). If it hasn't already happened to you I would suggest beating it to the punch and reglueing with a good epoxy. Lovepanerai - Contact the dealer. I have a new bracelet on the way. :)

That is the fatal flaw on the watch. The thin end of the deployment is simply glued on to the final link on the bracelet and it will ultimately break. Mine did. The gen have the pieces welded together (quite elegantly I might add). If it hasn't already happened to you I would suggest beating it to the punch and reglueing with a good epoxy. Lovepanerai - Contact the dealer. I have a new bracelet on the way. :)

Yea, I agree. Break it and JB Weld it.

I think it's best to apply the weld before it breaks...

On mine, holding it up to light...I could see that there was contact, only in a few places,..

therefore I applied some Loctite with a needle to fill in the areas that were open,...

I then turned it over and did the same with the other side until I could not

see any light escaping...then applied another line on both sides,.. just in case..

Usually preventative measures are much more effective,...

Good thing however that the kevlar strap is out,.. I personally think it looks better

than the metal band....which I will order for the chrono version... -_-

I think it's best to apply the weld before it breaks...

The more epoxy, the better and stronger the bond. The J-B Weld epoxy is literally as strong as steel with a tensile strength of 4000psi up to 500 degrees F. So, IMO, get all the glue off and create a strong joint! I'll probably pick up a kevlar strap also... I like the look. I like the bracelet also, though.

On mine, holding it up to light...I could see that there was contact, only in a few places,..

therefore I applied some Loctite with a needle to fill in the areas that were open,...

This got me looking at mine RT and I wonder if I am missing these spots or just looking at it at the wrong angle?

Here are some shots, should I be looking at a different way or something?

169355-10197.jpg

169355-10198.jpg

169355-10199.jpg

169355-10200.jpg

Also is tensile strength really the important part here? Isn't that the strenght it takes to pull something apart? This would be the strenght it takes to twist something apart I believe this is torsion and is significantly different.

For instance take a steel rod and epoxy it end to end to another rod. Try to pull them directly apart. This is tensile strength of epoxy.

Take a CD and grasp each side of it, even attach some kind of handle to it, then pull directly sideways to rip it apart. Tensile strength of plastic.

However in either cirucmstance bend the item, flex or twist it, now you are in the real of torque and tensile strength is much less a factor here...

Not sure where I was going with that but that's how it seems in my head :)

Exactly, the high tensile strength means you won't be able to pull the bracelet apart, such as when the watch slides down your wrist and you happen to flex your manly forearms. ;) The flex strength of an epoxy is probably double the tensile strength, while the adhesion is around half putting this one in the 2000 psi ball park. In any event, the point was that it's damn strong stuff and that the joint itself will not fail. Consider it a cold weld with liquid steel.

This got me looking at mine RT and I wonder if I am missing these spots or just looking at it at the wrong angle?

Here are some shots, should I be looking at a different way or something?

From your photos,.. it looks like they welded it fully...either that or the angles are not right...

On mine, the contact points were no where near complete and therefore several lines of light escaped,...

I think yours will be fine,...but I would still add some extra weld,..just in case,..

With the weight of this watch, if it were to hit the pavement,.., the damage would be devastating....

I don't understand the laziness, that would cause such a shoddy job on such a substantial

and beautiful watch... but Jay and EL gave them hell,... Jay alone lost tens of thousands of dollars,

because of this and the cheap paint they used for some of the dials,... that is one of the reasons

why he finally relented to go into the watch manufacturing area....

So I guess some good came from all this after all... :D

Jay lost tens of thousands? Wow... how did he loose so much? At what I imagine price to him is he must have sold quite a few to take a hit that big...

And I am curious about the newer dials (chrono ver) if they are the same process that might result in dial chipping... even my replacement from Jay has a few tiny spots of problems and it makes me very nervous should the movement ever have to come out for any work what would happen when it all went back together...

I will be looking into adding some extra support to my bracelet as you recommend to be safe... rather not find out what happens if it falls. It does seem odd that so far no reports of falling off the wrist entirely have been reported...

Jay lost tens of thousands? Wow... how did he loose so much?

If you just consider how much he lost in just your transaction alone..including all that back

and forth international shipping you can quickly sum it up...

I don't know if the chrono has the same problems, or if they have been addressed,.. I have

yet to inquire,.. but with all the members who have purchased them,.. I'm sure that we will

find out soon...

Personally,.. I don't plan on buying much until Jay brings out his own manufactured goods...

Well I figured Jay got some kind of deal back from his dealer or swapped in a good dial to resell and cut losses... at worst just ate the loss but at less than what he sold for so $10k at $200 is still 50 pieces... I knew they were popular but didn't realize that many went out...

In my case I paid shipping back and he shipped the replacement with some other watches I ordered so hopefully he lost less on my replacement.

I am very interested to see what happens when Jay gets his own manufacturing going on... he has been top notch in his service and it makes me really interested in what we would see out of a silix factory!

Well I figured Jay got some kind of deal back from his dealer or swapped in a good dial to resell and cut losses... at worst just ate the loss but at less than what he sold for so $10k at $200 is still 50 pieces... I knew they were popular but didn't realize that many went out...

In my case I paid shipping back and he shipped the replacement with some other watches I ordered so hopefully he lost less on my replacement.

I am very interested to see what happens when Jay gets his own manufacturing going on... he has been top notch in his service and it makes me really interested in what we would see out of a silix factory!

Interesting to know that you helped out with the shipping,.. though I think you are a rare kind,...

As for the numbers,... our boards are only a percentage of his business,...

From what I understand, we are his gage into what the outside world wants,...

and we have been pretty much right on, since day one...thanks to the diverse

talent we have here...

Thus his willingness to take our suggestions to the next level...

Speaking of which. Yes,.. :yeah: ,..looking forward...

This is going to be fun, to say the least,..and of course beneficial for us in more ways than one..

I just hope, the genius our board is blessed with, will all come forward and partipate,

instead of waiting for outcome before they act,... because our success depends upon it... ;)