When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hour dot

Robert Manor

Ok, here's my belated post. I ordered two reps last oct. when I was working prn post retirement. I absolutely fell in love with the GMT I got. I wore it every day and the only time it got wet was when I washed my hands after leaving an isolation patient's room. I noticed it started losing time. Well, one day, while with a patient, I noticed the 10:00 dot had come off. I think the hour hand was rubbing the dot and finally loosened it.

My question is, is there an easy way to dissamble this watch to get the dot out? I can live with a dot missing if I can wear the watch.

Any suggestions?

Bob

• 4 weeks later...
Robert Manor, on 26 Nov 2014 - 01:37 AM, said:

Ok, here's my belated post. I ordered two reps last oct. when I was working prn post retirement. I absolutely fell in love with the GMT I got. I wore it every day and the only time it got wet was when I washed my hands after leaving an isolation patient's room. I noticed it started losing time. Well, one day, while with a patient, I noticed the 10:00 dot had come off. I think the hour hand was rubbing the dot and finally loosened it.

My question is, is there an easy way to dissamble this watch to get the dot out? I can live with a dot missing if I can wear the watch.

Any suggestions?

Bob

Yes.

1) Remove the bracelet and open the caseback.

2) Remove the stem (supposing it's an eta/asian 2836 look the picture below; press it VERY LIGHT or you'll mess up the keyless!!! And while you press it pull the crown and stem out)

IMG_0026-1.jpg

3) Remove the movement rotor/counterweight unscrewing the central screw

4) Remove the 2 movement screws and clamps (in pink below on another movement)

Rolex-shockproof-6426-clamps.png

5) rotate the case and tap a bit on the crystal to make the movement to come out (put a hand below!)

6) re-glue the hour indicator (I normally use a bit of bicomponent epoxy, VERY FEW -jast make it "dirty" of glue - on the bottom of the hour indicato, because if you don't put few glue, then it will spread around when you put the indicator in its place, ruining the dial)

7) fit back the stem and crown and put it in time regulation mode, make the hands to move and check that there is space between them and the hour indicators, Eventually, with a toothpick lift the touching one a bit and re-check the hands don't touch between themselves

8) put back the crown in the winding mode and extract again the crown/stem as from point 2

9) to reassemble all do point 5 -> 1

You'll need:

a) latex gloves (the ones with no talc inside!) to avoid leaving marks on the movement

B) a working area with no dust. The cleaner the better

c) a good lens or a monocle 10x

e) a GOOD pair of tweezers (horological ones: very soft ones and with good sharpen ends), like bergeon or dumont ones

f) a GOOD set of horological screwdrivers, like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-A-F-SWITZERLAND-Watchmakers-5-pc-Screwdrivers-Set-w-extra-blades-Free-Ship-/360898719558?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item54073d6f46

Up to you if, seeing the costs of the needed tools, you prefer try it yourself or ask a watchmaker to do it for you...

Edited by GenTLe

• 3 months later...