When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tropic Diver strap reps?

K12AN

Hello all

I really like the Tropic diver straps on the vintage Daytonas - especially with the curved ends.

I was shocked to see how much these are selling for...around $150 and more.

Are there any reps or very similar alternatives available?

Thanks

Kiran

Cheaper alternatives are

1. "Hong Kong" Tropic straps.  These have the same basket-weave pattern as the Swiss straps, but the keepers look like two pairs of rubber bands.  These often don't feel as nice.

2. Voguestrap Skin Diver.  Also made in Hong Kong.  Slightly different, more open pattern than Tropics, but otherwise very similar i.e. same location of diamond-shaped holes.  Keepers are also textured. 

3. SUB straps.  Italian-made contemporary of the Tropic with a scaly texture.  Suitably retro. 

4. Modena "Tropic".  Modern version, that bears a decent resemblance from afar.  Softer rubber, more comfortable, less shiny.  Unfortunately, not available in 19mm, so you'll have to pinch/trim a 20mm. 

A more expensive alternative would be JLC's leather Tropic homage strap, made for the Memovox Tribute to Polaris and used on subsequent reissues.  Just remembered that these are 22mm wide, though...