When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does anyone own the "Platinum" 44mm ROO

Welp, since there's some unknown force preventing me from gathering enough funds to start my first franken project, I decided to put it on hold. In the meantime I've been looking into the "platinum" version of the 44mm ROO. I like the panda 44mm, but the blue interests me. Does anyone out there own one? If so, flood pics here please :yeah:

Edited by positivitony

Welp, since there's some unknown force preventing me from gathering enough funds to start my first franken project, I decided to put it on hold. In the meantime I've been looking into the "platinum" version of the 44mm ROO. I like the panda 44mm, but the blue interests me. Does anyone out there own one? If so, flood pics here please :yeah:

I was about to do the facepalm thing brother, but I realized that you probably know that its not real platinum :lol:

OK here's short and sweet advice: Don't bother with the blue dial 44mm ROO mate. The dial can be called out about 19.6miles away, by a half-blind goblin who isn't even looking at the dial. :D Besides, the sheen of platinum in real life is unmistakable once you know what it looks like. 

Wait for the J12 GP series, and get that platinum one if you like. The blue is a lot sharper. You can then try again to ask about plating the case in real platinum, I think the jeweller in unicorn land performs that service ;)

Now, don't say I did not try to help. Good luck mate!

I actually own one and bought it as was my 2nd purchase after joining the forums. I personally can't comment on how the blue dial compares to the gen. because I have not seen one in person nor can I comment on how the Platnium looks compared real Platnium either. From the moment I saw the watch on the AP site I wanted it then a few months later it was available from our TDs so I immediately placed my order and I love the watch.

Since joining the forums I have learned so much from reading and reading and doing all the research and learning from the fellow members such as your self, Legend so I defer to you on this and if you say the that both the dial color and the Platnium tone is off then that is good enough for me.

Now would actually be a good time to introduce my self to you my name is Andrew and I would just like to say that I always enjoy reading your posts and find them to be so informative. You seem like a really great guy and I look forward to reading and leaning some more when ever you post next!

To the original poster I will say this though, if you like the watch then buy it because you like it. After all it is your money and its going on your wrist :) that's what I did and I love it and I think it looks even better in person then in pics!

Unfortunately though because I was a novice at the time of purchase and at the QC process I didn't notice in the pic that there is a little defect between the 12 and 1 of the blue boarder of the dial. It looks as if the blue spot needs to be pushed up and flattened to make the dial line up 100%. Had I noticed it then I would have asked from a different one but I guess that's part of the learning process. I will say In pictures it looks much worse then it doesn't on the wrist and if you didn't know to look out for it you wouldn't notice it at all but I'm trying to see if it's possible for someone to go in a just touch it up somehow bc I've im told the factory won't sell the spare dials for this watch.

Anyway here's a shot of the watch and if you like it then get it :)

89b875d46dcdae2a8efa424dfd15844a.jpg

f37c61d1b105637dbaba2498c6f44fb8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by versaceboy54

I actually own one and bought it as was my 2nd purchase after joining the forums. I personally can't comment on how the blue dial compares to the gen. because I have not seen one in person nor can I comment on how the Platnium looks compared real Platnium either. From the moment I saw the watch on the AP site I wanted it then a few months later it was available from our TDs so I immediately placed my order and I love the watch.

Since joining the forums I have learned so much from reading and reading and doing all the research and learning from the fellow members such as your self, Legend so I defer to you on this and if you say the that both the dial color and the Platnium tone is off then that is good enough for me.

Now would actually be a good time to introduce my self to you my name is Andrew and I would just like to say that I always enjoy reading your posts and find them to be so informative. You seem like a really great guy and I look forward to reading and leaning some more when ever you post next!

To the original poster I will say this though, if you like the watch then buy it because you like it. After all it is your money and its going on your wrist :) that's what I did and I love it and I think it looks even better in person then in pics!

Unfortunately though because I was a novice at the time of purchase and at the QC process I didn't notice in the pic that there is a little defect between the 12 and 1 of the blue boarder of the dial. It looks as if the blue spot needs to be pushed up and flattened to make the dial line up 100%. Had I noticed it then I would have asked from a different one but I guess that's part of the learning process. I will say In pictures it looks much worse then it doesn't on the wrist and if you didn't know to look out for it you wouldn't notice it at all but I'm trying to see if it's possible for someone to go in a just touch it up somehow bc I've im told the factory won't sell the spare dials for this watch.

Anyway here's a shot of the watch and if you like it then get it :)

Dear Andrew

Thank you for your kind comments. To be honest, I think that my humor was ill-applied after reading your cultured response to my obviously exaggerated satire...

I did not mean any offense to the owners of the 44mm ROO blue dial, such as your good self. My only thought was to advise the OP, with whom I have become fairly acquainted with. So my apologies for the insensitivity, to you and whoever owns the watch. 

As a watch, it is definitely very nice looking, like the Micheal Schumacher series. My main gripe about this watch is the dial, or specifically, the white second-counter ring around the dial, just before the tachy. It is crudely printed,  with incorrect spacings all around. The white base makes this flaw more obvious and it is based on this, and this alone, that I told the OP to reconsider his ever fickle choices (2014 safari today, 44mm RG tomorrow.... you get the drift) ;)

I can still be wrong, and have been on several occasions, and my opinion on the ROO is to be taken as my personal view, and my view here has equal weight to yours I think, as views can be rather subjective. So I appreciate and respect your opinion on the watch as much as you graciously allowed for mine. Thank you kindly.

I was just being flippant and messing with the OP in my earlier post. My apologies to you if it caused any offence, it is never my intention to cause others to take umbrage when reading my posts. 

Dear Andrew

Thank you for your kind comments. To be honest, I think that my humor was ill-applied after reading your cultured response to my obviously exaggerated satire...

I did not mean any offense to the owners of the 44mm ROO blue dial, such as your good self. My only thought was to advise the OP, with whom I have become fairly acquainted with. So my apologies for the insensitivity, to you and whoever owns the watch.

As a watch, it is definitely very nice looking, like the Micheal Schumacher series. My main gripe about this watch is the dial, or specifically, the white second-counter ring around the dial, just before the tachy. It is crudely printed, with incorrect spacings all around. The white base makes this flaw more obvious and it is based on this, and this alone, that I told the OP to reconsider his ever fickle choices (2014 safari today, 44mm RG tomorrow.... you get the drift) ;)

I can still be wrong, and have been on several occasions, and my opinion on the ROO is to be taken as my personal view, and my view here has equal weight to yours I think, as views can be rather subjective. So I appreciate and respect your opinion on the watch as much as you graciously allowed for mine. Thank you kindly.

I was just being flippant and messing with the OP in my earlier post. My apologies to you if it caused any offence, it is never my intention to cause others to take umbrage when reading my posts.

Legend,

You have absolutely nothing to apologize for my friend and I'm not the least bit offended and I'm sorry if my comments may have given you that impression. I didn't know that you were previously acquainted with the OP and so I basically just wanted to show him the watch in "flesh" so to speak despite the flaws to see if that may help him with his decisions.

To be honest I didn't realize all of those flaws you pointed out until now lol despite that I'm happy with the watch. I'm still just so new to this hobby and its people like your self that I have learned a great deal from.

BTW would you happen to know anything about this issue i pointed out about my dial? I'm curious what your opinion is on it and if you think it's something that can be fixed? Immediately after I noticed the flaw I contacted the td and he told me he could get me another dial and after I payed for it in addition to express shipping he emailed me back saying the factory won't sell him a spare one. Do you have any suggestions?

Andrew that's a very nice looking watch you got there mate! And Legend as usual bro your humor is always appreciated lol this has been a pretty rough week, so I sincerely do appreciate you being able to make me chuckle a little bit even during this difficult time. I'll send you a PM and fill you in on what's been going on, because I need some completely non-watch-related advice.

Legend,

You have absolutely nothing to apologize for my friend and I'm not the least bit offended and I'm sorry if my comments may have given you that impression. I didn't know that you were previously acquainted with the OP and so I basically just wanted to show him the watch in "flesh" so to speak despite the flaws to see if that may help him with his decisions.

To be honest I didn't realize all of those flaws you pointed out until now lol despite that I'm happy with the watch. I'm still just so new to this hobby and its people like your self that I have learned a great deal from.

BTW would you happen to know anything about this issue i pointed out about my dial? I'm curious what your opinion is on it and if you think it's something that can be fixed? Immediately after I noticed the flaw I contacted the td and he told me he could get me another dial and after I payed for it in addition to express shipping he emailed me back saying the factory won't sell him a spare one. Do you have any suggestions?

Dear Andrew

Thank you, I am humbled. 

For your dial, can you please send a close up so that we can see and diagnose the problem better? Thanks A!

Andrew that's a very nice looking watch you got there mate! And Legend as usual bro your humor is always appreciated lol this has been a pretty rough week, so I sincerely do appreciate you being able to make me chuckle a little bit even during this difficult time. I'll send you a PM and fill you in on what's been going on, because I need some completely non-watch-related advice.

Nothing that chicken soup and coffee can't solve brother.. I'll be on my way shortly. :)

Thank you for the compliment on my watch Positivitony and I apologize for not introducing my self to you as well buddy!

Legend, here are 3 close up pics of the dial. Unfortunately I only have my iPhone to use are a camera so I hope they are sufficient enough:

634cc787035cb8c9836bf5c54b0e0f77.jpg

878ae9012e885956cabd13b2fcbda581.jpg

317ec7402a5af65f8e1c68811396c265.jpg

Edited by versaceboy54

Thank you for the compliment on my watch Positivitony and I apologize for not introducing my self to you as well buddy!

Legend, here are 3 close up pics of the dial. Unfortunately I only have my iPhone to use are a camera so I hope they are sufficient enough:

Oh dear, it looks like the dial is warped somehow between the 12 and 1 markers, exposing the layer below, is it an apt description?

You cannot solve the problem by realigning the dial mate. The warped portion will still show. The easiest way to solve this would be a dial replacement, which I understand to be a problem on its own, obtaining another dial. The dial could of course be patched up, repaired and resprayed, but I do not think that its worth the effort and money unless you really love this watch to bits.  

Thank you for your opinion. Your description is accurate. As a novice I just thought that I would be able to push the blue part up and flatten it into place to cover the white area and that would make the dial look even. I was hoping that the blue part of the dial was a softer material that can just be pushed back into place but I guess that is not the case as you said it would still look warped.

I did find a post from another member that details how to change out a dial and if I had the tool that removes the inner nuts of the watch I am almost tempted to try to use that as I guide to see if I can fix it my self if it was something simple to fix.

I also find another member who recommended me to a friend who repairs dials and I sent him the same pics and he gave me an estimate of about $100.00 but he said he couldn't say for sure unless I send him the watch. I don't know if it's worth putting another $100.00 just for a repair when the price of a new dial was only $55.00. But I guess it's labor intensive. I know this is a hard question to ask but do you know anything about repairing dials? Do they usually come out looking good or can one usually tell that the dial had been worked on? Then there is the ultimate question like you brought up is it worth putting more money into the watch?

Thank you for your opinion. Your description is accurate. As a novice I just thought that I would be able to push the blue part up and flatten it into place to cover the white area and that would make the dial look even. I was hoping that the blue part of the dial was a softer material that can just be pushed back into place but I guess that is not the case as you said it would still look warped.

I did find a post from another member that details how to change out a dial and if I had the tool that removes the inner nuts of the watch I am almost tempted to try to use that as I guide to see if I can fix it my self if it was something simple to fix.

I also find another member who recommended me to a friend who repairs dials and I sent him the same pics and he gave me an estimate of about $100.00 but he said he couldn't say for sure unless I send him the watch. I don't know if it's worth putting another $100.00 just for a repair when the price of a new dial was only $55.00. But I guess it's labor intensive. I know this is a hard question to ask but do you know anything about repairing dials? Do they usually come out looking good or can one usually tell that the dial had been worked on? Then there is the ultimate question like you brought up is it worth putting more money into the watch?

If its a question of $55 to do it yourself with a new dial and $100 for someone who could fix it, spend the $100. :)

If its a question of $55 to do it yourself with a new dial and $100 for someone who could fix it, spend the $100. :)

I guess that is a fare price for a repair. I will send it to him and see what he says. I did just try one last time to contact my td to see if with any luck the factory would now sell him a spare dial and they still won't so it looks like I don't have a choice in the matter. I want to thank you for all your help and your opinion I value it greatly my friend!