When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Autowind mainspring lubrification

GenTLe

I'm experimenting with a spare (crappy) asian 2836 movement.

When it was new and not olied it had an amplitude of around 290°

After movement lubrication it went down to 260° max

Then I noticed the mainspring was doing a bad noise when manual wound, so I tried to manually (no estrapade) to disassemble, lube and reassemble the mainspring and mainspring barrel.

It was very dirty with black residual (maybe some old dried molybdenum paste), and the barrel floor was a quite scratched (probably the reason of the bad noise) and showing a bit of the underneath brass.

I washed the barrel, the barrel cover and the spring with degreaser, some paper to remove the old dirt, and finally passed into the ultrasonic machine and distilled water.

Then I applied some Moebius 8217 on the barrel wall, some Moebius 8200 on the barrel floor and its cap (the typical cross made with that grease and the black oiler), and finally again some 8200 passed on the spring with a piece of cloth kept in the tweezers.

I reassembled the thing and put on timegrapher, just to read a poor 160° amplitude :( The spring clutch was starting to splip just after like 25 hand wound...

I removed all again and recleaned, doind the same treatment and reassembling like before but this time just avoiding the 8217 friction grease: poor performance again, this time up to 205°.

The spring, when out of the barrel, looked not bent and was laying flat on the table.

Where is the error? Bad greases? Too much of them? ...?

Thanks, GenTLe

Edited by GenTLe