When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hublot Big Bang - not working - thoughts?

sebvad

That'd be great.  I'll keep my eye on the repair forum (both here and at RWI) to see if someone's interested.  I've removed that small piece from the caseback that was sticking the rotor, and still getting no joy from the mechanism when manually wound.  Again i've no idea if that's relevant or not, only that 'unsticking' the rotor didn't on it's own breath new life into it.

I think the screw that was origionally holding themovement tab (that you removed) is still inside the movement somewhere, gumming up the works. :g:

Use the best magnification you have and search inside the movement for the missing screw.

Good luck!

Ok, so thanks to the NE snow storm, i had a few extra hours today and thought i'd delve into the micro world of watch works.  I may have pulled an eye muscle.  Holy cow.  I never was able to get a good closeup photo, but someone earlier indicated he thought the screw head was broken off, with the screw still in it's hole - i think that's what i'm seeing as well.  No matter how many times i tried, i couldn't get the 'head' to go back into the hole - and every now and then i'd catch glimpses that suggested something was still down there - but my middle aged eyes aren't that good anymore, and i don't have a magnifying glass.  While in there, i gently tried to rotate anything that looked, well, rotatable - the 'sprocket' at the 7:30 position freely moved, as did the rotor and there's two golden colored gears that are under the rotor at the 6:00 position that freely moved.  The two golden gears as the 11:30 and 12:00 position, however, didn't move - now mind you i didn't push very hard as i'm just not sure how fragile these things are, and i don't want to make it worse - but nothing fell out or rattled around, so if there's another piece in there jamming it all up, i couldn't find it

post-49055-0-16001200-1422393552_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Thought i'd just close the loop on this thread - Sead actually knows a watch smith he put me in contact with who was able to repair the broken screw, and remove some other debris to get it working.  It took a couple of back and forths to get to the bottom of it, but the net/net is that it's working great, and i'm quite impressed with the follow through from Sead.  I've ordered a rollie rep from him already.  

And i absolutely love the Hublot.  Easily my current favorite.