When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Angering

patekman

This Jaeger le Coultre Master Reserve de Marche: http://www.trustytime.com/index.php?main_p...products_id=146 is unbelievably close to the real thing. The only difference (besides a 1 millimeter larger case diameter)? The seconds-hand is tipped in red.

Why o why would the maker do this? This is almost mockery. I would buy this watch if it weren't for the red-tipped seconds hand. Is anybody aware of how to rectify this issue at minimal cost? Can I get a watchmaker to just pry that sucker off and replace it with a black seconds hand? I mean, really, this is frustrating.

This Jaeger le Coultre Master Reserve de Marche: http://www.trustytime.com/index.php?main_p...products_id=146 is unbelievably close to the real thing. The only difference (besides a 1 millimeter larger case diameter)? The seconds-hand is tipped in red.

Why o why would the maker do this? This is almost mockery. I would buy this watch if it weren't for the red-tipped seconds hand. Is anybody aware of how to rectify this issue at minimal cost? Can I get a watchmaker to just pry that sucker off and replace it with a black seconds hand? I mean, really, this is frustrating.

i have this rep and maybe i tried on the wrong variationon the gen but - its no where close.

The gen is wafer thin and smaller diameter, felt to me smaller than 1 mm.

in fact it was so small and dainty i wouldn't like the gen. I like this rep though.

i have this rep and maybe i tried on the wrong variationon the gen but - its no where close.

The gen is wafer thin and smaller diameter, felt to me smaller than 1 mm.

in fact it was so small and dainty i wouldn't like the gen. I like this rep though.

Well, according to the measurements, Andrew's version is 38 x 10, and the actual version (cited here: http://www.blitzwatches.co.uk/productdetai...productid=4127) is 37 x 9.3. So close, it's negligible in my opinion.

Maybe it's a hand that could be replaced with a solid black one... it looks pretty generic...

Devedander, how would I go about getting this replaced? Is there a specific type of person I should consult, like a jeweler? Tell me how!

I would get it done quickly before that 1.7mm total dimmension difference begins to bug ya!!!!

Do you realize that this is such a minute difference in a small production watch that the number of people on the planet who would actually recognize the fault could probably fit in your living room and most of them would be production line employees of JC????

And why would this minute transgression on the front bug the hell out of you when the rotor modified Asian 21j movement visible through the case back looks nothing like the genuine??????

The stuff that crawls under the skin of some collectors and the stuff that doesnt never ceases to amaze me.

All reps Have Flaws. Find One With Flaws You Can Live With And Buy It!

Haha you raise a good point, crystalcranium.

The only real reason why the seconds-hand bugs me is because it's visible. The Asian 21J movement is usually concealed, and besides, no layman could usually tell the difference anyway as long as there are "gears visible." The seconds-hand, however, is on the front, in plain sight, and easy for any layman to call me out on it if they were to have seen the real watch, even for only a moment. It's such a glaring fault, and so negligible to fix on the manufacturer's end. I just don't understand why the maker would go to the trouble of making everything else at least appear to be an exact copy, only to make this backhand move of using an off-colored seconds-hand.

Haha you raise a good point, crystalcranium.

The only real reason why the seconds-hand bugs me is because it's visible. The Asian 21J movement is usually concealed, and besides, no layman could usually tell the difference anyway as long as there are "gears visible." The seconds-hand, however, is on the front, in plain sight, and easy for any layman to call me out on it if they were to have seen the real watch, even for only a moment. It's such a glaring fault, and so negligible to fix on the manufacturer's end. I just don't understand why the maker would go to the trouble of making everything else at least appear to be an exact copy, only to make this backhand move of using an off-colored seconds-hand.

Well, I'm not going to......ah what the hell!!

The second hand flaw bugs you. You have the disease. It's the crooked line that has worked its way into your bloodstream and it will be all you see every time you look at this replica. Don't feel too bad, your affliction is common and the diagnosis is easy. Delusional rationalizations like a generic movement that has gears found in just about every cheap replica on the planet will fool most everyone but a wrongly colored second hand on a watch that hardly anyone knows will fool no one are part of the syndrome.

The fact is that this watch isn't anywhere near the holy grail of replication you think it is,...OK, maybe it's a little closer if you don't take it off and show anyone the back, and the rep manufacturers not getting the second hand right on a $98 copy isn't the major dropped ball "Why the hell did they do this" you might think it is. It's just that that damn second hand has gotten into your brain and has ruined this watch for you.

Whatever you do, don't go to the advanced stages of the disease, spending $150 to have a custom hand fitted only to have the dust that gets under the crystal during the work become the next obsessional flaw!!!