When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Sailcloth Strap Rep vs Gen Comparison

panerai153

I recently acquired a Rose gold Blancpain Fifty Fathoms in a M2M sale. I have been looking at these since they were first introduced as a chrono model, which I wasn't particularly interested in. I was very interested in the non chrono model which is a tribute to the original Fifty Fathoms Divers.

After receiving the watch, I became interested in strap options, and did quite a bit of research regarding which strap(s) would be the best fit for the FF. One of the things I had a hard time getting information about was the actual length of the various straps, as there isn't much Blancpain information on the internet. I finally resorted to going to some of the genuine watch forums and looking at old sales threads for used Sailcloth straps. I looked at the Brady sailcloth straps, but I thought that they were a good bit stiffer than either the rep strap or the genuine sailcloth. So after much research and reading, I decided to buy a genuine Sailcloth. I had seen a few for sale on various forums, but they were either the long strap (XL) or the short strap. What I needed was a regular length. Since I sometimes let haste get in the way of good sense, I contacted a source and ordered a gen strap. They were most helpful, and were not in the least hesitant to take my money!! I got the strap in a couple of days ago, and after looking it over I decided that a comparison would be in order. I know that a lot of folks feel like a gen strap is imperative to take your watch to the next level, and in some cases they are correct, as the rep straps and bracelets that come with a lot of our watches are pretty lame. Most of the AP Hornback rep straps fall into this category, as do a lot of other leather and rubber straps.

So on to the comparison. First off the length of the rep strap and the regular gen are almost identical in length as you will see from the photos. the hole positions don't line up the same which may require wearing a the strap in a different hole. One of the first things you notice is the thread color, the gen is darker more of a steel grey. Also the thread appears to be a little better quality and finer. Stitching is about the same on both, the gen is tighter. The sailcloth material, looks identical, in fact they look like the two straps were cut from the same cloth. The rubber backing looks and feels about the same. the big tell is the Blancpain stamp on the back of the strap. The gen looks like it was engraved into the rubber, straight as a die, the rep is crooked on the strap and the N at the end is also crooked. These are all pretty nit picky things, and who is going to see the stamping on the back of your watch strap unless you take it off and hand it to someone. Even with that it would be hard to tell unless you had both the rep and gen in hand. Construction on the buckle end is nicer on the gen, smoother and finished better, however again a minor difference.

The next question would be since the rep and gen are so close, would I shell out almost 300.00 USD for a strap? I suppose the answer to that is no, not for another strap the same length as the rep. If I were in the situation where the rep strap was obviously too short or too long, the answer would be much easier, as there are no rep alternatives. Possibly a Brady can be had in shorter or longer lengths, I don't know.

Before the photos, here are the lengths of the various sizes of Blancpain Genuine straps

Short Strap 65mm X 105mm

Regular Strap 75mm X 115mm

XL Strap 85 X 125mm

Here are the side by side photos. The rep strap has the buckle attached, the gen strap has springbars in each.

post-327-0-75815700-1424131963_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-95169200-1424131985_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-74765500-1424132050_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-01817900-1424132034_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-59558800-1424132016_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...