When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Potential AP Diver V7 Franken project

I am planning to send the watch to domi to get a few things fixed and added.

-Crooked datewheel

-Installing gen Diver rubber strap

-Putting in Powermatic 80 movement.

-Waterproofing

-Double AR on cyclops

-Double AR Xtal 

Not sure if I need the double AR on the Xtal since AP only has one side AR and V7 is already pretty decent right off the bat. 

Let me know if I am missing anything else. 

Only a Gen rubber doesn't make it 'Franken'. We call it 'modded'

Btw, you'll have a super rep model...

If you can get a Gen Xtal & a gen buckle, then you really don't need to buy the Gen.

I'm working on a project like that with my brand new V7 (just bought another one) and my own Ceramic Diver (a mix between 2 of them, Noob & H-fac) ;)

Only a Gen rubber doesn't make it 'Franken'. We call it 'modded'

Btw, you'll have a super rep model...

If you can get a Gen Xtal & a gen buckle, then you really don't need to buy the Gen.

I'm working on a project like that with my brand new V7 (just bought another one) and my own Ceramic Diver (a mix between 2 of them, Noob & H-fac) ;)

^ what he said. The word franken has been used too loosely lately. Modded is the right work. Best of luck with your project, do post pictures!

That sounds like a really nice project. The genuine AP sonly has single AR, so that's what I would go with. I do think that the cyclops is a big weak point with the divers. I have and AR'ed crystal on both my FC V3 and My V5, but the cyclops is not that great. Like some said above, Franken is being used too loosely, to me it gets into franken territory when you add gen parts like dial, bezel, crystal, crown, hands, not just lume and AR. Nice modded watch, but not a franken. 

You can trim the "pockets" of the strap for a better fit. I find it makes a big difference. 

The modified V7 is not a bad candidate at all. I still wonder, why did the factories stay away from the case back gasket as found on the v3.5, which looks more like the gasket on the ROO chronos? 

Then again, which gasket is more gen like? Not thread-jacking, just adding to this one. The water resistance is imperative if you're getting into a project like this. You NEED to ensure that after all of the mods, you can still get it wet, or you will have some issues wearing it out in public.

E

Either strap depending on what plots you have. The inside of the strap has a concave design to accepts the plots. If you have a small trimming tool or Dremel, you can carefully remove material to move the strap closer to the case if the fit is not perfect. You may, or not need to do this depending on strap, plot and maker. 

E