When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So What Is The Difference Between Different Reps?

SportsterRider

I have been collecting/trading/buying replica's since about 1985. I've seen every level of quality from quartz based, base-metal turds, to ETA based pieces that are tough to spot from a real one. It was only recently, however, that I found the 'high' level rep's that are considered 'swiss'.

My question is, what is the difference between a rep from, say, idealwatches and one from Wo-Mart? Is ideal just ripping folks off, or is there really such a huge difference in quality.

FWIW, I have bough three of the ~$1000.00 reps over the last 5 years or so with mixed results. The TT Sub had an awful bezel that looked more like brass than gold, while the Yacht has started to fade badly on the face (the color is bleached, the indices are off color and the red lettering is almost unreadable it's faded so bad.). However, the TT datejust (which was my first high-dollar rep) I bought back in 2001 still looks as good as the day I bought it and keeps perfect time.

So, is there a difference between a ~$1000.00 rep and a ~$150.00 rep?

Thanks,

Dave

BTW: I was reading in another thread concerning he water resistance of a sub rep. I can't speak in general, but with all three of my reps I've been in the pool, shower and the shore with all of them and never had a problem.

I just purchased my first Sub from Wo-Mart, an LV "so called perfect" Sub and looking at the pictures of the subs @ idealwatches compared to what I have, mine blows them away.

I haven't been around replicas very long, but I do know that there is no reason at all to be charging $1000 for a replica of any kind.

On a side note, I've purchased 2 watches from Wo-mart now and I'm very happy with both and with Paul's service

$1000 is way way WAY too much to pay for any rolex sub/datejust rep (unless the gold part is made using SOLID gold, and even then its 2x more than what you shold be paying)

Idealwatches caters for the type of buyer who doesnt know that these exact watches are available for $200.

We are lucky here in that we have access to alot of information, and are better informed when it comes to replica watches than most people, and so to us $1000 for any datejust or submariner is considered a Ripoff.

I would be willing to wager that the exact (if not better) watches you paid so much for, are readily available from Andrew/Joshua/EL/Prescious Time/any other board dealer for 1/4 of the price.

I too found this board after navigating my way past idealwatches/globalreplica/replicacenter, so you're not alone, and many people here have done the same as you.

If you spend a bit of time here, you will see that there is NO difference in the reps you paid $1000 for, and the reps we pay $-300 for.

BTW There is no such thing as a 'swiss' rep. Its a term coined by the likes of replicacenter to sell ETA based reps for 4 times as much as they should.

I believe those expensive sites offer what we get here at a lot more, but they offer things like money back guarantees and 1 year warranties (if you can collect on those is questionable) and overnight shipping... so if you REALLY want that watch tomorrow and are willing to pay at $700 markup for it then I suppose it's not that bad a ripoff...

Thanks for the reply, folks. I've been into watches, and specifically reps, for years. I've looked a number of times over that span and never could find a board like this for discussing replica's. I don't how I missed this site before, but I'm glad I found it.

Thanks again!

Dave

Dave heres all you need:

171393-9531.jpg

171393-9532.jpg

171393-9533.jpg

Enjoy

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

So, is there a difference between a ~$1000.00 rep and a ~$150.00 rep?

~$850.00.

Dave heres all you need:

171433-9506.jpg

171433-9507.jpg

171433-9508.jpg

That's all what we all need. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

"Aint no such thing as a $1000 a night hooker.....only $1000 a night Johns"

:whistling:

Amen to that! In answer to the topic starter, read, read, read then read some more, i'm a noob just like you and already i've made two purchases, both based on reading about what was on offer, the first buy is sublime, and i'm awaiting the arrival of the second, which by all accounts should be in the same category :D