When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any Reliable Dual-Layer Blu-Ray Disc Media?

freddy333

As per a number of recommendations 2 years ago, I have been using Verbatim BD-R DL (Dual-Layer) media to archive video data. However, in nearly every case, after 1 successful playback of the disc, each subsequent playback results in the video freezing after about 100 minutes into the disc.

I have tried 3 different players with similar results & 2 different archiving programs, same result in all cases, so I think the problem must be the Dual-Layer media discs. As I am archiving alot of old, video tapes that cannot be replaced, I need to find a reliable way to archive them onto 1080-capable disc media for HD television playback (hard drive backup is not an option in this case).

Anyone have experience with a Dual-Layer Blu-Ray disc media that has provided permanent, reliable playback?

I have had the similar issues making copies for work.  I ended up trying a few different machines and disks.  I have found some really weird random problems.  Make disks on one machine and it will play on the other machine but not on the one I made it on...Tried several different disks as well.  From the same package, some worked and some did not using the exact same copy technique.  Drove my IT network admin person crazy...Sorry cannot be of any help, but at least you know it is not just you or your setup.  If I remember we had the best luck with Sony disks.    

Thank you for posting your experience. I know the problem is unrelated to either the hardware or software, which leaves the media.

When you say you had the best luck with Sony, does that mean the Sony discs worked without problems over repeated plays or just did not fail every single time?

Unfortunately, some worked without problems for repeated plays and I believe are still in use and for some reason unknown some did not work at all. I wish I had more information for you. My network admin that worked on that is no longer around. I will check in with my IT staff tomorrow and see what I can find out.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy

I know what you mean, but on a large plasma, most DVDs lack the image quality of Blu-Ray. In other words, they suck. Adding to my dilemma, I understand that Sony & Phillips will be releasing an entirely new 4K format late in 2016 that stores ~300GB per disc that will ultimately replace Blu-Ray. Sometimes, I think I should just stick with VHS & a 19" B&W CRT set.