When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watchmaking and options to buy

Frosty5

So my early mechanical career began in 2nd grade w my first adult watch, a kinetic Seiko from the late 80s my dad gave me, Began collecting and pulling apart, then at 13 bought first car--- Flash Fwd to 30 years old and I still love wrenching, racing and building extreme cars and watches.

I am seeking clarity on some of the common movements used in reps and wondering if other than Alibaba which is hit an miss if there's a good source I can buy whole watches cheap, or just movements. All except one piece I have are gen watches, but I am looking at some amazing pieces that are well done in the rep market currently, and am just interested in their movements and pieces before investing.

Also, if anyone knows of more formal training other than the online TIMEZONE level 1-3 with their tool kits (looks like great program if anyone has any advice or has taken it) you can purchase I am very intrigued by furthering my knowledge.

Thanks and much regards for your time

There woukld be no point in an in-depth onkline watchmaking course. Watchmaking is an intense hands-on training and an online course woukld leave you in the dark on so many issues that you would be more lost than if you hadn't taken any class at all. You can be taught some things online (which is almost like being self taught) but the deeper you get into the trade, the more you need to have an instructor there with you ti watch what you are doing. Lathe work, balance work, jewel setting, and things of thast sort are too involved for online courses to go into. You can ruin more than you learn by trying it. 

My suggestion is to find a watchmaker who is willing to teach you, or enroll in a watchmaking school.

Once you get into the real meat of things, you will realize why in-depth watchmaking isn't taught online or mail-order.

There woukld be no point in an in-depth onkline watchmaking course. Watchmaking is an intense hands-on training and an online course woukld leave you in the dark on so many issues that you would be more lost than if you hadn't taken any class at all. You can be taught some things online (which is almost like being self taught) but the deeper you get into the trade, the more you need to have an instructor there with you ti watch what you are doing. Lathe work, balance work, jewel setting, and things of thast sort are too involved for online courses to go into. You can ruin more than you learn by trying it. 

My suggestion is to find a watchmaker who is willing to teach you, or enroll in a watchmaking school.

Once you get into the real meat of things, you will realize why in-depth watchmaking isn't taught online or mail-order.

I agree with you as well.

You can get a basic idea with online courses, but not hands on experience.

To the point above, I have been working on engines an watches my whole life, and am proficient, but no PRO. I do have lathes for wood, metal, etc. The movements are getting more complex at times w 2 barrels; etc.

I have found in person schooling-no longer locally though, and realistically its not worth the $ or time esp w the rates, but also being I already have my PhD this remains as a hobby and passion.

Books are great and have many, but the OL aspect offers some insights...however, I would be more inclined to find a Mentor and work with occasionally is a great idea. As mentioned, have career, and solid there...I would truly love to have taken a Rolex sponsored watchmaking course we had locally here in the Twin Cities, but I never knew of it and it was ephemeral at best lasting only 3 yrs bc of LACK OF INTEREST, lol prob bc its a dying art but also bc NOBODY KNEW IT WAS THERE go figure :)

Thanks for the responses guys, I am def still looking to buy more movements and cheaper watches to keep practicing was also part of the question. So if anyone knows where Eta's, Miyotas, Swiss, seagulls, etc can be purchased cheaply or on the mass bc I would like to continue building breaking apart diagnosing and swapping.