When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Western Union frustration

Bumper

Hey all, I just want to share my experience:

I've been trying to make a purchase from Silix through Western Union. I got the pertinent info from Michelle at Silix, created an account on WU online, tried to do a transaction, and the WU website told me it couldn't be completed.

So, I went to my local WU location, did a transaction there. This was last Friday. I sent Michelle (very friendly and helpful person) the MTCN, and they tried to receive the funds yesterday. She emailed that the transaction was not available, I called WU, put in the MTCN and the automated system said that transaction number did not exist in the system?

I went back to the WU location (Fry's grocery store), they called WU, and were told the transaction was on hold. They were given a number for WU "government office", and told me to call them.

I emailed Michelle last night with an update, she told me they sometimes need additional info, so she sent detailed info that might help, Thanks Michelle!

Here I am this morning, spent 40 minutes calling WU, disconnected twice, talked with 4 different people, first 2 sounded like skype under water!

One person told me they needed additional information, the next told me the transaction showed as "available" on his end, the last person told me the transaction is done and they can't add additional information, and that the recipient ID must match exactly the name on transaction.

I sent Michelle another update with that info, we'll see tomorrow if she has success?

If anyone needs to use WU, it might be helpful to add more info from the recipient, according to the WU agent, just sending to "China" generally is ok, but...

A lot of dealers have stopped using it for new buyers or buyers with no real forum presence etc

A lot of WU outlets are small type shops and the like and are not very experienced or knowledgeable at using the service... It can be very problematical... WU work to exact information.. even a letter or space out of place or a name the wrong way round (easy with Chinese names) will create an issue for the recipient when collecting...

there are 2 forms that all WU outlets use one for sending one for receiving... where variations can occur is when the WU agent inputs the info into electrical transponder... if they over ride an error or fail to complete the input properly the funds can end up being sent technically but are in fact in limbo due to the error..

I always avoid WU as it doesnt end up really any cheaper once you pay the fees despite the seller giving a discount for using it... but if I do have to I always use either a WU office if possible (which it aint in most cases) or do it myself on line... that way i at least know if an error is made its my error and not someone elses... especially when they are inputting chinese names and addresses etc...

Another thing I used to do was confirm the info sent by the dealer when recieved and write it out again in clear manner... so when they read it they can spot any errors as we have all done it when sending out info to others... for example first name rather than last name can be easily done  etc etc

The only consolation is that if you have completed the senders form correctly and you took a copy of that and the small reciept (that also has all info on it too) from the transponder then you can at least prove the error is with the agent..