When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TC V6 bezel won't budge...

mmonesix

Brand-new out of the box TC 2015 V6 bezel won't budge.  I've taken it apart to take a look at everything and nothing stands out.  My speculation is an ID clearance issue, but I wanted to know if anyone has experienced the same and/or has a route to take to correct the issue. 

Thanks

AC2253E4-1A72-491C-9A1A-69EA8C46CCA2_zps

SSTEEL, I have the removal tools.  Taking it apart isn't the issue; it's getting it to turn.  As soon as I got it, it was all I could do to make it rotate.  I took it all apart to fit the gen crystal, and now - once in place - it won't even begin to turn.  And I'm not a weak guy. 

So there's clearly something amiss under the hood, I just can't figure it out.

Maybe the click spring is trapped underneath/between the bezel ring, and shim washer?  Check the components of the bezel assembly, and ensure they are all true, and not kinked/deformed?

Edited by SSTEEL

Did that.  I'll edit my OP as I should have mentioned what I've tried so far, but: I removed the insert to get a visual on the components.  All appears normal.  I removed the click spring and re-fitted the bezel to see if the spring was the culprit; no joy.  I seems that the washer is maybe a little too large - and a little more reading finds this idea being shared - but I'm having trouble accounting for it being completely immovable since replacing the crystal, other than I wiped away the grease TC is now apparently putting on there (and that it shouldn't need). 

I also gave the washer a little OD sanding last night, though I didn't remove enough to be meaningful and saw no correction. 

Obviously, I would like to correct this on my own before sending off for another assembly and adding another $50-60 to this piece for a part I shouldn't have to replace.  TC has done well with the V6 - and the new bezel is better-looking than the 2014 V6 I had - but if I had to take function or appearance I'd choose the former. 

Worst case, I'll sand the hell out of the washer and get a replacement if it doesn't work. 

C'est la vie!

Just try the assembly without the washer at all. Should work just the same only much easier to turn. The washer is just for tensioning. If it works without the washer you know the problem and just a matter of fixing. You can get replacement washers from Clarke or try sanding. The way it works it's likely not the OD or ID but the thickness.

Just try the assembly without the washer at all. Should work just the same only much easier to turn. The washer is just for tensioning. If it works without the washer you know the problem and just a matter of fixing. You can get replacement washers from Clarke or try sanding. The way it works it's likely not the OD or ID but the thickness.

That's good info to have, thank you.

The bezel washer is designed to push up (away from dial) on the bezel to put the under inside lip of the bezel in frictional contact with the lip of the crystal retaining ring. This prevents the bezel from turning too easily. However, if the washer is too thick or bent, or something else is bent (crystal retaining ring is not straight), it gets too stiff. If you remove the washer all together there should be plenty of play between the bezel and crystal retaining ring and the bezel should turn easily, too easily technically. If the washer is too thick, it will put too much friction between the bezel and crystal retaining ring and it won't turn easily. You can sand down the thickness of the washer to just the right thickness to get the right balance. Note, even though the bezel seems like it won't turn, I bet if you push down towards the dial on the bezel with even pressure and then try and rotate it, it will turn. Pushing down reduces the pressure the bezel washer is causing between the bezel and crystal retaining ring and allows the bezel to turn. Hope this makes sense. Good luck!!

I removed it altogether and it works like a charm now.  Tells me the washer will need some serious cut-down made to it.  I get back from a trip next week and will play with it.  This will do in the meantime.

As to pushing down on the bezel, it wouldn't depress at all with the washer installed.  I mean, not 1mm even.  Definitely not right, but this will hold. 

Thanks again for your help.  I had my physics warped as much as this washer. :)

I removed it altogether and it works like a charm now.  Tells me the washer will need some serious cut-down made to it.  I get back from a trip next week and will play with it.  This will do in the meantime.

As to pushing down on the bezel, it wouldn't depress at all with the washer installed.  I mean, not 1mm even.  Definitely not right, but this will hold. 

Thanks again for your help.  I had my physics warped as much as this washer. default_smile.png

Glad you got it sorted, at least temporarily. Just a tolerance stack up problem. Have to get the right thickness and assembly. In the meantime, just leave it out. Cheers

• 3 months later...