When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Customs Question - Canada?

jamoo

I've been lurking for a while, getting a feel for things. I have one question that I haven't seen an answer to -

What are the dangers of bringing reps in through customs? Am I at any risk of something happening to me? I've also been looking at some rep bags for my wife, is this inherently more or less dangerous than watches?

Thanks!

The Zigmeister repair a lot of watch and he is in Canada. I don't think he have that much problem with customs.

I personally never had problem either. I have a watch from a member in transit, I pray for it to get to my door, but I'm sure it will be ok.

I agree that ther is noso much danger....i have send already 2 watches for somefriends and both of them passed ok. :yawn:

I have sent upwards of 20 packages containing multiple rep watches back and forth to Canada from the U.S.A. over the last year. No problems. As The Zigmeister says, it is not illegal to buy in Canada.

Not illegal to buy, but they have the right to stop them at custom (in fact, it's their job) But usually, small package like envelope don't attract much attention. They look at the declaration papers to see if they can charge you something and that's all. But if you send a box, 80% of the time they will open it to see what is inside.

Btw here is a good read: hxxp://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/fio/intellectual_e.htm

Question 5: Possession of counterfeit items is not a criminal offence in Canada as long as there is no intent to distribute them.

Also very interesting: Downloading music for personal use is currently not a criminal offence in Canada. :p

Edited by vric

The Zigmeister repair a lot of watch and he is in Canada. I don't think he have that much problem with customs.

I personally never had problem either. I have a watch from a member in transit, I pray for it to get to my door, but I'm sure it will be ok.

watches which are sent to The Zigmeister dont come from Xun Ching Chuan from Taipeh, Taiwan though...

Sadly, I live in Canada. But I also love these watches - I've purchase about a dozen now, and have had absolutely NO problems at all. Joshua is an impeccable dealer... his packaging is made to withstand both elements of nature and the security clearance.

They are much more interested in packages coming out of the Middle East than China these days.

I remember very very well, that about 1 year ago (or 1.5 years), most dealers refused to send to canada, or only "at your own risk", same with austria and that A LOT of members here were bitching about canadian customs!

I'm in Canada, and 1/1.5 years ago, only River refused to ship to Canada. Josh, Andrew, Neil, Jay and Paul all had no problem with that.

Like said, they don't care about replica, they only want to tax us to the death (6% + 8.5% taxes + 8% brokerage because it's a "Swiss" watch. Make the count, buying a Gen (or if they think your rep is gen) cost a LOT of money.)

Look here for brokerage fees. (20% on Clothing and bags !)

hxxp://www.aacb.com/tools/tariffguide.htm

No question why we are the most taxed people in North America.

Slay - I dont think you live in Canada. I do and 13 Panerai and one Rolli later I have had no problems...

But I talked to a lot of canadians, including a Dealer who lives in Canada plus I was around (maybe you werent) a long time ago when there WAS this rumor about canadian customs that no watch gets through. Maybe this has changed, I dont know, but dealers will have their reasons when they tell me that canada is a [censored]!